5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop Sleeps When it Should Not

My wife's laptop (Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5174) is running Win8.1. I am trying to "clean it up" so I can upgrade it to Win10 in the next few days. When I try to run a deep virus scan which will take several hours it keeps on going to sleep after a short time. I have the Power settings set to never sleep if the power is plugged in (see screen shot below). Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could turn Hibernate off with this command from a Command Prompt (Admin), but if your wife is just used to closing the lid, then this will isolate that.

powercfg -h off

exit

This will also free up a few GBs on the HDD but won't be noticeable if there's already ample free space available.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've run into the same issue and seen it reported by others and don't have a good answer. In theory, if you are running something like a virus scan, then the computer should see that it's busy and not go to sleep regardless of what the power settings are. But in your case, your power setting should keep it from sleeping anyway.

One thing I would suggest is that you force a complete shutdown and restart. The simplest way to do that is to run the shutdown command (shutdown /s /f /t 0) then restart the computer once it is completely shut down.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You could turn Hibernate off with this command from a Command Prompt (Admin), but if your wife is just used to closing the lid, then this will isolate that. ...
    I believe there is a difference between Sleep mode and Hibernate mode. I've always believed that I was using Sleep mode. Am I wrong about that?

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    ... One thing I would suggest is that you force a complete shutdown and restart. The simplest way to do that is to run the shutdown command (shutdown /s /f /t 0) then restart the computer once it is completely shut down.
    I'll try this and see if it helps any.

Thanks,
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    I believe there is a difference between Sleep mode and Hibernate mode. I've always believed that I was using Sleep mode. Am I wrong about that?

Bill
    No you aren't wrong - my bad.... but still boot up into Safe Mode and restart.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    ... One thing I would suggest is that you force a complete shutdown and restart. The simplest way to do that is to run the shutdown command (shutdown /s /f /t 0) then restart the computer once it is completely shut down.
    I tried this and it did not help.

Bill