Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,626
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 880 Times in 842 Posts

    WSUS Offline Installer

    How long does it normally take WSUS Offline to install the updates once you run them from the Client folder ?

    It's been stuck at this for about the last half hour or so -

    Starting WSUS Offline Update (v. 10.7) at 16:25:22.38...
    Checking user's privileges...
    Determining system's properties...
    Determining Windows licensing info...
    Found Microsoft Windows version: 6.1.7601.18247 (w61 x64 enu sp1)
    Found Microsoft Windows Software Licensing Management Tool info...
    Name: Windows(R) 7, HomePremium edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_COA_SLP channel
    Partial Product Key: Y8PBR
    License Status: Licensed
    Checking medium content...
    Medium build date: 20/07/2016
    Medium supports Microsoft Windows (w61 x64 glb).
    Disabling screensaver...
    Creating temporary power scheme...
    Adjusting power management settings...
    Checking Windows Service Pack version...
    Checking Windows Update Agent version...
    Checking Windows Installer version...
    Checking Windows Script Host version...
    Checking Internet Explorer version...
    Checking Windows Defender installation state...
    Checking Windows Update scan prerequisites...
    Installing Windows Update scan prerequisites...
    Installing update 1 of 8 (stage size: 400)...
    Installing ..\w61-x64\glb\Windows6.1-KB3138612-x64.msu...

    I did get 252 Important and 8 Optional for Win 7 while I was running the Win 10 Update Agent, but that froze when it got to 99%.

    I wasn't sure if that was because of those waiting in the wings, so I used Task Manager to end the Win 10 Upgrade and tried to install the Win 7 ones but they just hung at 0 KB of 0%.

    Funnily enough when I went to shutdown I got the message not to unplug etc. as it was installing 1 of 102 even though it showed no progress on the download.

    Anyway, a restore with an external system image later and a fruitless attempt to get it to find any updates, I decided to try the Win 10 upgrade again using the Upgrade now button from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10 but it froze again on 99%.

    Hence my trying WSUS Offline to see if getting the machine back up to date with updates following a factory reset would help.

    Not much hair left

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Rick Corbett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Glos., UK
    Posts
    2,143
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 579 Times in 464 Posts
    It's because one of the instances of SVCHOST is taking almost all CPU cycles so WSUS Offline hangs at that update (which is only ~2.6 MB and - if yours is like mine - is update 2 of 9)... or the hang causes the CPU race condition. Either way... WSUS Offline just stops doing anything. (I always have Task Manager running - with "Show processes from all users" - at the same time as WSUS Offline, just so I can see when this happens.)

    1. Stop WSUS Offline.
    2. Stop the Windows Update service.
    3. Delete the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore. (This can't be done if WU client is running.)
    4. Navigate to the .\WSUS Offline\Client\w61\glb folder and run Windows6.1-KB3138612-x64.msu manually.
    5. Kick WSUS Offline off again.

    Mine's currently flying through the installations now...

    (Oh... and disconnect from the Internet so Windows Update doesn't get confused by trying to update online and offline at the same time.)

    Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-07-20 at 12:43.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

    Sudo15 (2016-07-20)

  4. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,626
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 880 Times in 842 Posts
    While that was sitting where it was, I found and ran a batch file to reset the WU components which stopped the WU service, but it got an access denied when trying to do anything with the SoftwareDistribution folder.

    Went back to check and saw that it had moved on to listing the ids of missing updates (...which can take a while) so I'll just leave it to do its own thing.

    Thanks for the tip about disconnecting from the 'net though but I already have the update settings set to Never and the Check for updates has a big red X next to it, prompting me to run it - so that won't be interfering.

    EDIT - It's in the process of installing 142 but in its original scan, it was downloading 217.

    I'll have to wait and see what I end up with, but as long as I can get this machine to upgrade to Win 10 I won't be too bothered about any missing Win 7 updates.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-07-20 at 18:21.

  5. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    How long does it normally take WSUS Offline to install the updates once you run them from the Client folder ?

    It's been stuck at this for about the last half hour or so -

    Starting WSUS Offline Update (v. 10.7) at 16:25:22.38...
    Checking user's privileges...
    Determining system's properties...
    Determining Windows licensing info...
    Found Microsoft Windows version: 6.1.7601.18247 (w61 x64 enu sp1)
    Found Microsoft Windows Software Licensing Management Tool info...
    Name: Windows(R) 7, HomePremium edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_COA_SLP channel
    Partial Product Key: Y8PBR
    License Status: Licensed
    Checking medium content...
    Medium build date: 20/07/2016
    Medium supports Microsoft Windows (w61 x64 glb).
    Disabling screensaver...
    Creating temporary power scheme...
    Adjusting power management settings...
    Checking Windows Service Pack version...
    Checking Windows Update Agent version...
    Checking Windows Installer version...
    Checking Windows Script Host version...
    Checking Internet Explorer version...
    Checking Windows Defender installation state...
    Checking Windows Update scan prerequisites...
    Installing Windows Update scan prerequisites...
    Installing update 1 of 8 (stage size: 400)...
    Installing ..\w61-x64\glb\Windows6.1-KB3138612-x64.msu...

    I did get 252 Important and 8 Optional for Win 7 while I was running the Win 10 Update Agent, but that froze when it got to 99%.

    I wasn't sure if that was because of those waiting in the wings, so I used Task Manager to end the Win 10 Upgrade and tried to install the Win 7 ones but they just hung at 0 KB of 0%.

    Funnily enough when I went to shutdown I got the message not to unplug etc. as it was installing 1 of 102 even though it showed no progress on the download.

    Anyway, a restore with an external system image later and a fruitless attempt to get it to find any updates, I decided to try the Win 10 upgrade again using the Upgrade now button from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10 but it froze again on 99%.

    Hence my trying WSUS Offline to see if getting the machine back up to date with updates following a factory reset would help.

    Not much hair left
    My suggestion, if what you want is to go windows 10.

    Forget the Windows 7 updates. Forget the windows update agent. Just go to the Windows download page and download it from there:

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

    It's a lot faster. Downloads an executable, you run it and take it from there.

    I have updated three computers in the last week or so and always did it this way, as Windows Update just took ages to even start.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  6. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,626
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 880 Times in 842 Posts
    I've tried it twice from there, Riu, but it has froze twice on 99%

    Event Viewer has it recorded as an application hang where Win 10 update agent stopped interacting with Windows.

    I tried the upgrade route with the bootable disk but that hung on Checking for updates at 3%.

    Don't know why it was looking for updates or which ones, but I think that could be related to the check for updates problem that I've had.

    After WSUS has done its thing, I'll give the Upgrade now another go and then it will be the clean install and then I'll have to reinstall all of my programs but....

  7. #6
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,794
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 799 Times in 720 Posts
    Try running Tweaking.com's Windows repair tool. Fixed a Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems that wouldn't upgrade by running this tool:
    http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

    Jerry

  8. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,626
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 880 Times in 842 Posts
    No thanks, Jerry - I ran WR on another Win 7 laptop and after the reboot, while it started up okay, everything was frozen, even after repeated reboots.

    I had to boot up into Safe Mode to open the program to use the registry restore function to get it working again.

    Anyway, WSUS is plodding along fine, just starting on the 60s of 142.

  9. #8
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,794
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 799 Times in 720 Posts
    Hmmmm strange. I wonder what fix caused the freeze. I've never had a problem with it. I assume you ran it in Safe Mode. Anyway, things seem to be working for you now. Good luck.

    Jerry

  10. #9
    Super Moderator Rick Corbett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Glos., UK
    Posts
    2,143
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 579 Times in 464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15
    After WSUS has done its thing, I'll give the Upgrade now another go and then it will be the clean install and then I'll have to reinstall all of my programs but....
    If the desired end result is a clean install of Windows 10, why spend the time updating Win 7 then upgrading only to wipe it?

    Just save the Windows 7 activation details as they are now then do a clean install of Win 10 directly using the MCT. I've done this nearly a dozen times so far and it's saved so much time.

  11. #10
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,626
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 880 Times in 842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Hmmmm strange. I wonder what fix caused the freeze. I've never had a problem with it. I assume you ran it in Safe Mode. Anyway, things seem to be working for you now. Good luck.

    Jerry
    Here are the repair error logs for that session to see if you can make any sense of them - they don't to me

    11.07.2016_16.17.39.zip

  12. #11
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,626
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 880 Times in 842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    If the desired end result is a clean install of Windows 10, why spend the time updating Win 7 then upgrading only to wipe it?

    Just save the Windows 7 activation details as they are now then do a clean install of Win 10 directly using the MCT. I've done this nearly a dozen times so far and it's saved so much time.
    A clean install isn't the desired end result but one of last resort.

    I'm still hoping the Upgrade now button will work, but that is something for tomorrow.

    I was half hoping that of the updates installed that one of them would have given me the GWX system tray icon to run the compatibility test, or the actual Win 10 update.

    I never thought I would be wishing for MS to sneak Win 10 onto any of my laptops, but I've had that one repaired specifically to upgrade to Win 10 - and what a ball ache it's turning out to be.

    I'm on a different laptop now but tomorrow I'll check to see if KB3035583 has been installed and if not, will direct download.

    You can only normally get it through WUs but I once found an article with a direct link to it - just hope Google will find it again.

    Went into Windows Update and it still had a red cross, prompting me to check for updates, so I did but the Windows Update service was starting to max out the dual core which it hadn't done previously.

    After WSUS had done its thing and the 4 reboots to configure them all, I went into Installed Updates and got a shock to see just one for Adobe Reader and Silverlight which I had downloaded.

    It wasn't until the green bar was almost to the end that they started to populate - whew !

  13. #12
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Paducah, Kentucky
    Posts
    420
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 67 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    A clean install isn't the desired end result but one of last resort.

    I'm still hoping the Upgrade now button will work, but that is something for tomorrow.
    As a matter of curiosity, are you goal oriented to the point that you insist on using GWX to upgrade?

    If I were you I'd probably (1) image the hard drive for peace of mind, (2) use the Media Creation Tool to make a thumb drive with the latest Windows 10 installation files, and then (3) with the thumb drive inserted and your Windows 7 with SP1 running, navigate to "setup.exe" on the thumb drive and launch it!
    I'd let Windows 10 work out the details of your software compatibility and your hardware.

    (If you find the result not to your liking, then just restore the image.)
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-07-21 at 01:17. Reason: grammar; typo

  14. #13
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,626
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 880 Times in 842 Posts
    If you read my earlier posts, you will see that I had already tried the upgrade with the disk created using MCT.

    When I switched the machine back on last night after completing WSUS I found on checking Windows update that it was offering the remaining 101 Important and 8 Optional updates, so I left it running overnight.

    When the configuration had completed this morning, I had a full screen prompting me to upgrade and with the system tray icon present.

    The compatibility check still wasn't available, so I clicked on the Upgrade now button and that started downloading the files again.

    That has been running for just over 1˝hrs and it's up to 79% of installation completion which is a lot faster than previous attempts had been.

    Hopefully that will be a sign that I'll get past the 99% this time.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-07-21 at 04:14.

  15. #14
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    820
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
    If you have an ISO and just want to fool around with it, you might find a suitable drive and create a Windows To Go installation.

  16. #15
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    6,626
    Thanks
    147
    Thanked 880 Times in 842 Posts
    I've had enough "fooling around" to last me a life time because of problems with Windows Updates over the last week.

    I'm now using Win 10 and other than finding my way around that, I prefer the status quo - Thank You

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •