iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Ink-jet printer comes with two years of ink

Best Hardware

Ink-jet printer comes with two years of ink

By Michael Lasky

Ink-jet printer manufacturers know that the single, most common complaint about their products is the high cost of ink. They're finally starting to address the problem with higher-capacity ink tanks and other tricks.

The new Brother MFC-J985DW-XL multifunction printer is one example of this trend. In a form of pay more now and save later, the device comes with what Brother claims is a two-year supply of ink based on an average of 300 printed pages per month.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-hardware/ink-jet-printer-comes-with-two-years-of-ink/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Over at Amazon, the reviews of the printer are decidedly mixed so far, especially if one excludes those who got the machine for a review. And replacement ink down the road doesn't look cheap.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was thinking, you'd probably need two years to save up for the ink

I remember when I first bought my Epson SX425W that it only came with 7ml cartridges fitted as opposed to the standard 11ml.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The claim that this comes with a two year supply of ink appears to be misleading – the maths don’t add up.

The black cartridges are rated for up to 2,400 pages, so three sets equals 7,200 pages, a two year supply at the assumed 300ppm. Furthermore the colour cartridges are half the capacity, so only a 12 month supply.

Brother seem to be conning the gullible.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What is your recommendation for a wide format (13" x 19") printer. Not an all-in-one, but just a printer. The reviews on Amazon are not very favorable to any that I have looked at so far.