New Lounger
    Thanks

Win10 Upgrade from Win 8.1 Repeated Failure

I am at my wits end with this one. Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Every attempt to upgrade to Win 10 has failed and I'm running out of time for the upgrade. Below is a brief summary of efforts to date along with my system info, which has been verified to be compatible. All attempts made with all external devices disconnected and AV and antimalware exited.

System: Lenovo Thinkpad W540 / Intel Core i7 CPU @ 2.40 GHz / 8GB Ram / fully patched through July 20, 2016

Summary:
    • multiple attempts via Windows Update. Download completed but install failed. 0x80070005
    • downloaded Media Creation Tool and Win10 ISO. Neither would run even with Run As Administrator.
    • Best Buy Geek Squad failed with multiple attempts
    • attempt with Win10 Upgrade Assistant failed
    • downloaded/ran SubInACL, created reset.cmd as instructed and ran it. Upgrade Assistant then failed again.
    • chat/remote connect w/ Microsoft technician failed. All he did was verify compatibility and launch the Upgrade Assistant starting with a download, even after I told him about all of the above. That attempt also failed.

It really bothers me that Media Creation Tool doesn't run. I've never seen it in action, but all it does when I try to launch it is the display blinks once. Nothing else happens after that, and the Windows Task Manager doesn't show a task or service running for it.

I'm thinking of trying another chat session w/ Microsoft support to see if I can get a better support technician.
    Any other ideas?
    Please help!

Alan

Thanks
    Have you tried running in Safe Mode?

Have you tried the Media Creation Tool on another machine?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Have you tried running in Safe Mode?

Have you tried the Media Creation Tool on another machine?
    I will try Safe Mode. I don't have another machine to try MCT.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get back after attempting the Safe Mode approach.

Alan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by molechaser View Post
    I will try Safe Mode. I don't have another machine to try MCT.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get back after attempting the Safe Mode approach.

Alan
    OK, Safe Mode won't work. It didn't recognize that Windows was registered/initiated. I'm going to try another chat/remote session w/ Microsoft while I still have a few days left.

Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If you are close to a Microsoft store you can make an appointment with them to get upgrade help.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't know if the MCT will only download in IE or if you could try a different browser, but open a Command prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds to see if they'll help -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow ( to see if any corruption remains)

If that comes back clean, try the MCT again - are you using it from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

If successful, you can use https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...-download-tool to create the bootable media of your choice.

If push comes to shove, you may need to Refresh your Win 8.1 before attempting the upgrade again, but give it a try with your AV program disabled.

The 05 error code is an Access Denied.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-07-22 at 05:21.