Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

"Locking in" the free Windows 10 upgrade and retaining my old Windows version.

With reference to http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-...ndows-version/.

After some deliberation I have decided to do this. However, I don't know how to go about it. I assume that GWX Control Panel must be removed first, but what are the next steps?

The zdnet article mentions a USB drive or a d.v.d. or ISO file. What is the relevance of that if the update has to be downloaded to this (Windows 8.1) PC?

These questions will no doubt sound naive to most readers of and contributors to this forum, but compared to most of you I am but a neophyte in these matters.
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Thanks
    As to GWX Control Panel: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...requently.html
    I HAVE USED GWX CONTROL PANEL IN THE PAST BUT NOW I'M READY TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO?
    You have a few different options depending on how you've used GWX Control Panel and how you'd like to perform your upgrade.

If you've only used GWX Control Panel to Disable the 'Get Windows 10' app and Prevent Automatic Windows 10 Upgrades:

Both of these features are easily reversible. Just click Enable 'Get Windows 10' app to bring the icon back and click Allow Windows 10 Upgrades to enable Windows 10 services in Windows Update. (You might also want to click Enable Non-critical Windows 10 Settings if that is available.) Now you can click the Get Windows 10 app to begin the upgrade process. Alternatively, if you do a fresh Check for updates in Windows Update after re-enabling these features, you might find theUpgrade to Windows 10 patch available as an installable option (not everyone sees this option; I don't know why).

If you have already used the Delete Windows 10 Download Folders or Delete Windows 10 Programs features:

Since these features delete files, you need to take an extra step or two to upgrade to Windows 10. First, make sure to click Allow Windows 10 Upgrades in GWX Control Panel to enable Windows 10 services in Windows Update. After that you have two options:

1. Use Microsoft's Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to download and install Windows 10.
    -or-
    2. Open the Programs and Features control panel and click View installed updates. In the search box in the upper-right of the window, enter: kb3035583 It might take Windows a few seconds to perform the search. Eventually you should see an entry labeled "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3035583)". Select this entry and then click Uninstall.

After Windows uninstalls the update, open up your Windows Update control panel and click Check for updates. Wait for Windows Update to check for new updates. This can take a while depending on your computer and how busy Microsoft's update servers are. Once the search is complete, Windows should return with a message like "Install updates for your computer," and will probably also say at least 1 important update is available. Click the "important update available" link to confirm KB3035583 is one of the available updates. (If you don't see KB3035583 listed, you might have to go back to the main Windows Update screen and click Restore hidden updates to un-hide KB3035583. Once you're able to see and select that update, click OK or Install updates, depending on which screen you're on. Once the update is complete, if you don't see Microsoft's Get Windows 10 icon right away, try restarting Windows. If it still doesn't appear make sure you don't have it disabled in GWX Control Panel. Once you can see the icon you can follow the instructions in the first part of this answer.
    The USB or DVD for an ISO file is for using the Microsoft Creation Tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/ and there are instructions on the site as to how to use it.
    Make sure you make an image/clone of your system before upgrading to W10. I used an 8 GB USB stick for the MCT.
    Hope this helps

Thanks
    Thank you lumpy95.

Not feeling very well lately, I will make a system image a bit later and perhaps continue with the update.

Thanks
    Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. If my post was helpful you can click on the "Thanks" button on my post. Your welcome.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

Syncopator (2016-07-22)

Thanks
    I tried to make an image on disc with Acronis 2016, but encountered what I call user hostility. It seems determined to store the image in the cloud and I see no way of selecting disc.
    I've asked on the Acronis forum and await a response.

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with Acronis ( I have always used Casper cloning ever since XP days ) so maybe someone who is, will chime in.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncopator View Post
    I tried to make an image on disc with Acronis 2016, but encountered what I call user hostility. It seems determined to store the image in the cloud and I see no way of selecting disc.
    I've asked on the Acronis forum and await a response.
    I'm confused. Are you attempting to use an optical disc (BD, DVD, etc.) or a hard disk (external hard drive)? Or, are you attempting to store the image on a flash drive?

Thanks
    Sorry, not very well explained was it?

I had intended to put the image on d.v.d.s, but since trying I have wondered if my external hard drive might be a better option.

No response yet from the Acronis forum, so I tried a free version of Macrium.

Again, it's written for people with quite a bit of previous knowledge so I'm no better off.

The Macrium screen shows several things on my C drive and I have no idea which of them are required for a disc image.

macrium screen.jpg

davidhk
    RE : making a system image

I know many people will swear by Macrium Reflects.
    In fact I had a run in with a person who trashed the built-in system image backup, declaring Macrium Reflects as the 2nd coming.

Each to his own. Just don't trash those you don't use or don't like.

That said, may I remind you that Windows 7 and 8 have a built in app called System Image Backup.
    I have been using that since Windows 7 and it had saved my computer several times when my system broke down or I had issues I could not resolve. It never fails me.

How to do a system image backup with Windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ge-backup.html

How to do a system image backup with Win 8/8.1
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

How to do a system image recovery in Windows 7
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-recovery.html

How to do a system image recovery in Win 8/8.1
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

RE : Locking in free upgrade.

You have till July 29th to get a free upgrade.
    Suggest that you do so now.
    Once Windows 10 is installed and activated, you have the Digital Entitlement which allows you to re-install the same Win 10 edition in the same computer as often as you want and anytime you want.

You have 30 days after installing Windows 10 to go right back to Windows 7 or 8/8.1 by doing this :
    Left click at the Windows 10 Start button > left side, Settings > Update & Security > left side, Recovery > right side, under Go back to Windows xxx, click the Get Started button.
    That will begin reverting back to your previous Windows OS.

Now you have the digital Entitlement and you can use it to re-install Windows 10 in the same computer any time you want.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-07-23 at 12:19.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to davidhk For This Useful Post:

Syncopator (2016-07-23)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, not very well explained was it?

I had intended to put the image on d.v.d.s, but since trying I have wondered if my external hard drive might be a better option.

No response yet from the Acronis forum, so I tried a free version of Macrium.

Again, it's written for people with quite a bit of previous knowledge so I'm no better off.

The Macrium screen shows several things on my C drive and I have no idea which of them are required for a disc image.

macrium screen.jpg
    I replied to your post in the Acronis Forum https://forum.acronis.com/forum/122715 as did another person.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thomasjk For This Useful Post:

Syncopator (2016-07-23)

Thanks
    Thank you both.

The idea of an external, non USB, hard drive is attractive. However, on my machine I have 3 USB ports and one DVI port, nothing more except the normal audio jacks, so I that rules one out.

Thanks
    If you have 3 USB ports, just get an external USB enclosure or adapter and a HDD, and plug the USB into the computer when you want to make an image/clone and after finishing, just unplug the USB cord ( after the safe to remove message is displayed ), or am I missing something in your post's.

Thanks
    I'm confused.

I recently saw a couple of warnings saying that an external hard drive connected via USB won't work.

davidhk
    Thank you both.

The idea of an external, non USB, hard drive is attractive. However, on my machine I have 3 USB ports and one DVI port, nothing more except the normal audio jacks, so I that rules one out.
    I don't get it. I must be missing something. Please enlighten me.

External hard drive comes with a cable which connects to the ext hdd at one end, and an USB connector at the other end that will connect to your computer.

Why using an external hard drive is out of the question ?

davidhk
    I'm confused.

I recently saw a couple of warnings saying that an external hard drive connected via USB won't work.
    I have been doing System Image Backups since the early days of Windows 7, then Win 8/8.1 and now Win 10.
    I do that as a regular maintenance chore, once a week.
    That's about 2 to 3 years now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast