5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Virus Scans Will Not Run to Completion

I've been trying to run a detailed scan for viruses on this Win8.1 laptop before upgrading to Win10. I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Maware and it did not find anything. Then I tried to run ESET's free online scanner and it only scans about 150 files and then stalls! I have tried it many times and it always stops at about the same spot. It appears to be scanning a file in the Recycle Bin but the Recycle is empty! Then I tried to download the Kaspersky free scanner and the download has failed every time I've tried it! It just stops and displays a message: A problem has occurred!

I know that Fred Langa has suggested several good scanners for this purpose but I can't remember the names of the others and I haven't figured out how to search the newsletter archives for those names. So, please make any suggestions that you think might help me.

Thanks,
    Bill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try the Panda scanner.
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/uk/supp..._homeusers.htm

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried the scans/download in Safe Mode with Networking ?

This will isolate your own AV program and any other 3rd party program that could be getting in the way.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Try the Panda scanner.
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/uk/supp..._homeusers.htm
    cheers, Paul
    OK, I installed Panda and it ran all the way thru and it found 7 PUPs but nothing else. I sat by the laptop and kept it alive from about 10:30am to about 5:30 pm in order to do that!

Thanks for the suggestion Paul.
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you tried the scans/download in Safe Mode with Networking ?

This will isolate your own AV program and any other 3rd party program that could be getting in the way.
    No I haven't tried that yet. Now that I know that Panda is able to run all the way through I'm going to start it again this evening and see if it can run on its own or if the laptop will shutdown even though power is connected. If it does get through then I'll try ESET again in Safe Mode.

Thanks Sudo15.
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After the Panda scan completed I worked on doing a lot of cleanup on the computer. I apparently deleted as many as one million files -- my wife has a huge number of email messages in her Thunderbird and I had saved a copy of them several times over the last few years when major events were about to happen. I also ran CCleaner and let it delete quit a few links in the registry to non-existent files. Then I ran a Panda scan again but did not do anything to keep the laptop alive and it stayed alive as it should have before. Part of the time the power was plugged in and part of the time it was running on batter.
    this scan lasted only about hours instead of 5! I then initiated a ESET scan again and this time it looked like it was running normally until it got to maybe 90% and then it froze there. The earlier runs had frozen very close to the beginning.

The thing I did was upgrade Win10 and it seems to be running fine.

I only have one problem now: I cannot uninstall the Panda virus scanner! I've tried over and over and it pops up a foreign language message box! I've tried closing the message box and also clicking the button on the message box and neither one has accomplished anything. I'll post a a screen capture of the message box in the this thread and maybe someone can tell me what to do.

Bill
    Last edited by BillWilson; 2016-07-24 at 18:52.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a screen capture of the message box that seems to be stopping the uninstall of the Panda virus scanner.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Looks like Spanish - that's Panda's origin.
    It says you have an error un-installing, which may have been caused in your clean up. Try re-installing and un-installing.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can finally use my own laptop again! I've been using my wife's while I was working on hers and it did not have things like my login info for this forum in it. I've finally saved an image of her Win10 system and I just gave it back to her. I finally searched online yesterday for how to uninstall Panda and found a clear answer: download the Panda uninstaller and use it. I did and it worked fine. Thanks for your translation of that message Paul.

Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gizmo is a standard source of reviews of free everything in software.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    Gizmo is a standard source of reviews of free everything in software.
    Thanks, that is good to know.
    Bill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Super antispyware has a provision for removing the hard to delete files like this scanner. after edleting it use CCleaner to remove any chaff left in the system.