New Lounger
    Thanks

burning iso in 10 fails, in linux mint good

I am lost on this problem, I have a lite-on cd/dvd burner and a LG BluRay/cd/dvd burner in my set up. I can dual boot (separate drives selected thru bios in post). In win 10 I can burn a BR ISO on the LG just fine but dvd iso using windows built-in or imgburn or clonedvd software either drive fails with error and hangs spinning needing a shutdown to stop them. Here is the puzzle if I boot into Linux mint 18 I can burn on either drive the same iso with no problems using the same Verbatim DVD-R blanks.

I have tried uninstalling both drives, no help. I thought a driver issue but the same lg drive can burn a BD but not DVD, but will in Linux. Win 10 is a win 7 in-place upgrade to 10.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    why would I need "Windows USB/DVD Download Tool" I don't want to reinstall win 10 and all my software this is the only problem I'm having.
    I just tried burning with a USB external drive in win 10 same dvd video iso and it works, but again using internal drive does not.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try doing a firmware update on your CD/DVD/BLU ray burners and try again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry, I thought you were having problems with a burner program.

Shortly after upgrading to Win 10 I got a DVD player driver download, but that probably isn't your problem.

You say you got an error - what was it ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    lastest firmware, will try again to get error

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try burning at a slower speed.
    Joe

Thanks
    Try turning off Windows Defender's Real-time (and Cloud-based) Protection temporarily and trying again. (Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender)

defender.png
    Click to enlarge

I experienced a similar issue but in reverse (i.e. creating an ISO from a DVD) and found it was down to Windows Defender... presumably some sort of file lock whilst it scanned or monitored the operation.

(It's interesting that Windows Defender's privacy-protection settings aren't shown in the specific Privacy area of Settings. It's also interesting that if you click on a Privacy Statement link there is no mention of Windows Defender whatsoever, even though its settings in Win 10 confirm that Defender's default action is to send data to Microsoft.)

defender-privacy.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    windows defender is off, thanks for the help everybody, I gave up fighting and throwing out dvd blanks. I restored a drive image of C: from a backup ( I backup all data-docs, music, videos, pics on a qnap nas, and clone c:drive to another drive). Everything works but my new problem is activation (cloned 10 before never had a problem) was 0xC0EA000A (can't activate) for a day now it changed to 0x803F7001 not valid. Might have to start a new thread.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Put in my win 7 product key and it activated. I guess no problems for now (I got quicken to work in linux mint 18, was the last software to get working, I might give up on windows, I have had every version from dos 3 to 6 to windows 3 (tried 2 would not work) to now 10 (skipped vista and 8).