Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 refuses to install

Nearly at the end of my tether!
    I've been trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my desktop PC for several months without success. Installation gets to 71% complete, then tells me "installation failed - error code 080070005. I have followed Microsoft advice in KB 968003 (SubInACL tool) but still get the same result on trying to upgrade again.
    I have done the following each time try to upgrade:
    • disabled anti-virus
    • removed external hard disks

My PC configuration is:
    • Processor AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    • Installed RAM: 8GB (7.2 GB usable)
    • 64-bit operating system
    • SSD 40.4 GB free of 111 GB
    • Internal hard disk 1.74 TB free of 1.81 TB

Can anyone out there help?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    have you tried using the Media Creation Tool?
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    have you tried using the Media Creation Tool?
    Hi Joe...
    Forgot to mention that - yes, I have downloaded Media Creation Tool but it refuses to run!

Thanks
    Are you running without a password?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't have a password on my machine so not sure how that would affect things.

A 05 is an Access Denied error.

Have you checked Event Viewer to see if there's anything more specific recorded ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure that posts #4 and #5 are relevant to my problem - or am I missing something?!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Event Viewer may have something related recorded which may point to why you are getting the 05 error.

Do you have all of your updates for Win 7 ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmarketer View Post
    Not sure that posts #4 and #5 are relevant to my problem - or am I missing something?!
    The error code you report is one which indicates a permissions issue — Access denied. Running without a password, even as an Administrator, can trigger "Access denied" errors when a process involves registry editing and replacing system files.

That situation can also make the remedies for "Access denied" impotent for the same reason that the original "Access denied" has occurred.

"Are you running without a without a password?" is relevant because it is an attempt to help troubleshoot your problem with the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmarketer View Post
    Can anyone out there help?
    A simple "Yes" or "No" can move us forward in trying to resolve your issue. And resolving your issue is what we are trying to do in asking questions about your setup.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-07-24 at 09:19.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that clarification bbearren - apologies for my lack of understanding!
    I now see that "Error code 05" refers to the last two digits of the code received.
    My current Windows 7 setup runs without a password.
    In answer to Sudo15, all important updates have been installed. Event viewer does not appear to give me any further information - just a repeat of the error message:
    "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070005: Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586."
    Although I now also notice an earlier attempt at installation gave the following message:
    "Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070490: Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586."
    Hope that helps rather than confuse the issue further.

Thanks
    Create a new Administrator's level user account and set it up with a password. Try the upgrade logged into that account.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bbearren - tried that, and guess what:
    "Windows 10 couldn't be installed Code 80070005 Windows Update encountered an unknown problem"
    What next?

Thanks
    Open an Administrator Command Prompt and run

sfc /scannow

It will take a while for it to run, just let it run to completion. Note what is displayed after it finishes.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Done that; here's the display on completion:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>
    C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

Thanks
    SSD 40.4 GB free of 111 GB
    Can you show us a Disk Management screenshot of the exact partitioning layout of the SSD, with full Attributes (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash dump, Primary partition, Recovery partition, etc.) shown?

Lounger
    Thanks
    For what it's worth, you might try what I found to work today. I had a similar situation with a different error message. After a week of trying everything I could find on Google, I did a repair install of my Win 7 installation, after which the upgrade went smoothly. Whatever problems I was having with my system were fixed by the repair. It's simple to do, although it did take 3 hours to complete.

Good luck.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dhacker For This Useful Post:

bobmarketer (2016-07-27)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast