Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 install failure

I'm having the same problem with a different error message: K mode exception not handled - installation failed in the second_root phase with an error during migrate_data operation - error # 0xc1900191 0x4000d

I've tried every suggestion I can find:

Apply upgrade after clean boot, no startup programs or services
    Disconnect network
    Disconnect unneeded devices, printer, modem, disk drives other than boot drive, etc.

I get to about 75% complete, then it terminates just after the second reboot. Without any other info about what is causing the problem I'm stuck. A clean install is not a solution as I have too many installed programs and customizations and don't have the time to reconstruct my configuration.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I split this into its own thread. A different error code probably means a different problem. Please do not hijack another thread. These update issues are difficult enough to keep straight without trying to solve two in the same thread.

Are you using the Media Creation Tool or an ISO you got elsewhere?
    Joe

Thanks
    This is a bugcheck aka Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), so related to the base software/hardware, rather than the prospective upgrade OS:

STOP 0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    Usual causes: Device driver, hardware, System service, compatibility, Remote control programs, memory, BIOS
    Assuming your PC was 100% stable prior to the failed upgrade attempt (which probably rules out any hardware involvement/fault), you're looking at upgrading to the latest device drivers and updating/disabling any auto-starting 3rd party software next.

I'm unsure whether a failed upgrade would leave a crash dump that we could analyse but look through the System and Application logs for the crash time and see if you can find an entry that details that a memory dump was saved, if there is, there should also be a path to the file, and probably a (hidden) minidump file in C:\Windows\Minidump\xxxxxxxxxxx.dmp. If you can find the minidump, copy it to the Desktop, zip it (Send to > Compressed folder) and attach the zip to a reply.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Are you using the Media Creation Tool or an ISO you got elsewhere?
    I am using the Media Creation Tool. I've also tried using the Windows Upgrade Assistant. Both methods gave the same result.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Assuming your PC was 100% stable prior to the failed upgrade attempt (which probably rules out any hardware involvement/fault), you're looking at upgrading to the latest device drivers and updating/disabling any auto-starting 3rd party software next.
    I've had no problems with stability under Win 7 32 bit. I did update whatever drivers I could find before attempting to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    I'm unsure whether a failed upgrade would leave a crash dump that we could analyse but look through the System and Application logs for the crash time and see if you can find an entry that details that a memory dump was saved, if there is, there should also be a path to the file, and probably a (hidden) minidump file in C:\Windows\Minidump\xxxxxxxxxxx.dmp. If you can find the minidump, copy it to the Desktop, zip it (Send to > Compressed folder) and attach the zip to a reply.
    There are no files in the windows\minidump folder. I've looked through event viewer but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what to look for.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You want to look in the application and system logs for errors around the time the fault occurred.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could be an Application Hang Event ID 1002 but have you tried it with your antivirus program disabled ?

Thanks
    If you are running third-party security software you may need to completely uninstall it in order for the upgrade to work. Once upgraded, you should be able to reinstall it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspected that a problem with the registry was blocking the installation, and that the only way to correct this was to do a repair install of Win 7. This wouldn't be easy, as the last time I tried it, two years ago, it wouldn't work because of something to do with Microsoft SQL Server 7. Since I hadn't installed it I couldn't uninstall it, so I was never able to do the repair. However, I gave it another try today, and despite receiving the same warning, the repair was able to complete. I was then able to perform the upgrade to Win 10 with no problems. From searching Google I know that a lot of people are having difficulty upgrading due to similar types of errors, so maybe a repair install of the existing OS before attempting to upgrade is a general solution that might be effective.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's usually as a last resort but not everyone has an install disk, but glad things have finally worked out for you.