New Lounger
    Thanks

Need to learn Server 2012 R2, Hyper-V, Active Directory, Powershell

Hello, moving up to Support Server 2012 R2, Hyper-V, Active Directory, Powershell. Eventually IIS and SQL Server.
    Employer provides MSDN, so I have that resource available. I have a better-than-average understanding of Windows, from desktop support; no installation experience.
    I need to step up my knowledge for job security; the boss says any certifications can't hurt.
    To that end - I purchased a small server (Xeon, 4GB, 1TB). Solely for my playground, shipping Aug. 3. I intend on adding more RAM (how much should I add?) and possibly another hard drive.
    I am thinking that I can install and configure all of the above and learn along the way ... mistakes, do-overs ... 'til I get it right.

My first question is on the method to download software from MSDN, then install same on the server. Seems like I need to create a bootable USB with the ISO on it. Sadly, I do not have a clue on how to do this at the moment.
    Second, which server options should I install? Any hints on configurations? Thinking I want a Domain Controller, DHCP, as this most likely will turn into the hub of my home network.

Perhaps a stupid question so I saved it for last. Does the installation of Windows with Active Directory live on a separate partition than Hyper-V machine? To put it differently, does Windows exist in every Hyper-V?

Thanks for your insight and for helping me succeed!
    Donald

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    4GB is never enough for a server, it's not enough for a workstation these days -save your pennies for some more. The disk will be fine in the short term.
    Install Server 2012, then create some virtual machines for anything else you want to do.

To get an ISO file onto a bootable USB you just use Rufus, or use the MS one.

Hyper-V is a virtual machine service. It allows you to create virtual hardware that you can install anything on, including Windows.
    Use virtual machines for your playing / learning, keep the base install standard and you won't break it.

Before you install anything like a Domain Controller, get a book on Windows Server 2012 and Active Directory and learn about it. Then you can install as shown in the book.

cheers, Paul