Thanks

Windows 10 on wrong drive

I have 2 internal drives, an SSD with Win7 and HD with my data. I upgraded to Win10, no problem. Because of maleware signs (prior to the upgrade), I wanted to do a clean install using the Windows Media Tool on a DVD. Through bad decisions on my part, I ended up installing Win10 on my HD instead of the SSD. Luckily it did not wipe out my data but I did have backups from 2 weeks ago.

As a result, I was able to dual boot from either drive. Since the HD did not have an OS on it and hence no OS in the Window.old folder, I thought I would reset Win10 and put the HD back to the way it was with no OS. That just reinstalled Win10 again. It may have reinstalled it from the DVD I left in the drive. But now I do not have a dual boot option. It always boots from the HD.

I want to get rid of Win 10 on my HD without losing my data and go back to booting from my SSD. I see some options but not sure which one to follow. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The easiest is to disconnect the HDD and upgrade the SSD, take an image, then re-connect the HDD and see what you've got.
    Alternatively, install from scratch to the SSD.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Omega3 (2016-07-24)

Thanks
    Hi Paul. Thanks for responding. After upgrading the SSD, would I then be able to delete the following folders (all windows OS) from my HDD: Logs, PerfLogs, Users, Program Files, Program Files (x86), and Windows? Would Windows prevent me from doing that?
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows may object because the file / folder permissions are set for a Windows installation, but you can override that.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I successfully installed Win10 back on my SSD and it boots nice and fast.

When I try to delete the Programs folder on my HDD, Windows is telling my I need permission. My account says I am an administrator. I have two options Retry or cancel. Retry doesn't work of course.

How do I delete these files?

HOLD ON. I think I found out how to do it.
    Last edited by Omega3; 2016-07-23 at 14:37.

Thanks
    Still working on folder permissions. I think I'll start a new thread on this, what's turning out to be, an interesting endeavor.

Thanks
    Still working on folder permissions.

You can add a Take Ownership entry to the context menu, which does the hard work for you.

http://www.askvg.com/add-take-owners...windows-vista/

If you just want to delete recalcitrant files, use Unlocker. (Your AV may flag it, but its safe.)

http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

Omega3 (2016-07-29)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega3 View Post
    ...When I try to delete the Programs folder on my HDD, Windows is telling my I need permission...
    Sounds to me like you still have a Win10 partition on your HDD (not your SSD) that needs to be deleted.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    You may want to make sure you have no trouble booting W/O the HDD involved. Disconnect the date cable and try to boot.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.