5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Venting: had to rebuild my Win10.

Been having stability issues so finally, I just bit the bullet since the new update's about to get released and I didn't want an unstable OS causing issues. The Chkdsk found some issues (DOS version in safe mode if you will) but that didn't help; took 3 hours.

Anyway, I lost Photoshop and a few other programs which I'm not happy about, but I rarely use PS (I'm a GIMPer) so this time I won't try to reinstall CS5 and will see if I really need it or not. lol

As for my other programs, I re-installed Office for sure, but will, on a case by case basis, re-install other utility programs (have to admit that I rarely use any of them). Knowing what I know now, I'm glad I did this. Still, between chkdsk and re-install, it took over 6 hours. Grrrrr. lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    Still, between chkdsk and re-install, it took over 6 hours. Grrrrr.
    Look at it from the positive point of view - think how long you'd have had to wait to get Windows 7 Updates to download!
    You got off lightly...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the club. I had to do the same. Two upgrades were unstable (no crashing but some stuff just didn't work properly).
    George

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At least I got that new car smell feel now. lolol

I'll soon find out if my Virtualbox memory crashes (only crashed VB; Win10 was fine) will end or not, but the process did find many bad sectors during the dos chkdsk (Win10 chkdsk never found any issues).

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Chkdsk errors imply a failing hard disk. Backup now and run the manufacturers disk checking util.
    It could also be a disk controller or driver problem.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to follow up, My VM is acting like it should now (was experiencing a memory leak issue where eventually it would take over 900 MBytes RAM and then sometimes crash. I can suspect the VM session and re-open (same as hibernate for VMs) and it would reset the RAM usage until the leak eventually accumulates. Now, no memory leakage (RAM usage stays between 96M and 140M for my XP VM). Also, the OS itself just feels better (quicker). Like I said; new car smell. lol

I agree with you also, Paul but all important data is already backed up to an external drive (and duplicated my my PCs HD too of course).