2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clean Install Hangs

I have successfully completed an update from win 7 to win 10. Only had a couple of driver issues which got resolved. I did have several "unavailable" apps and remnant apps from win 7. So, I decided to do a clean install. Using the Media Creation Tool, I downloaded the win 10 iso and burned it to dvd. It was verified after burning. I booted with the disc and it started normally. After the prelims, I selected "custom install" and it proceeded with the install. The "Getting Files Ready for Installation" got to 65% and it hung. I've restarted the process 3-4 times. On the last try I left it there for about an hour and gave up. Have I got a bad dvd burn or what? Any thoughts appreciated. The original update is now messed up, but I have an image backup I can use if needed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It is possible you have a bad DVD. If you have any external devices try removing them before the install.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try putting the disk in after you boot up and start the install and when you get the option, select don't keep anything.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. After the clean install attempt, Win10 would no longer boot and a couple of different repair method I selected did nothing. I used my image backup to restore what I had. I think I will just leave well enough alone. The Win7 remnants I have aren't objectionable enough to waste more time on this.
    Thanks again.