Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

how to set Outlook 2016 to retrieve email manually

I'm in the process of reluctantly migrating from (my beloved) Eudora to Outlook 2016. I have a lot, but not all, the settings configured the way I want them. (I may need to post some additional questions.) But my question at the moment is how (or if) I can set Outlook to retrieve mail manually, i. e. when I want it to, not automatically. This is because I prefer to not be interrupted or distracted by continuously receiving email. I want to check/download email on my own time. This was easy in Eudora, but I can't figure out how to do it in Outlook.

In Options/Advanced I've unchecked "Schedule an automatic send/receive every X minutes," but that hasn't had any impact. In fact mail seems to be coming in whenever it wants even if I set the interval to, say, 30 minutes (with that box still unchecked.

Anyone know ho to fix this?

Thanks

Thanks
    In the send/receive tab there is a button to work offline, click that once and you should see 'Working Offline' in the status bar. Click it again to go back online.

When you want to send or receive when offline, press F9.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Browni. I had seen that in one of the sites I found when looking it up, but thought it seemed a rather extreme way to do it. Plus it means that anything I add to my Outlook calendar and address book won't synchronize until I go back online.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd thought I'd come up with a sort of a work around -- setting the automatic send/receive to every 2000 (arbitrarily) hours. But then I realized that that also meant (I think) that my calendar and address book would also sync only after 2000 hours.
    Last edited by greenbergman; 2016-07-26 at 17:11.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What kind of account is it? Exchange, Pop, Imap?
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not totally sure. Looking at Account Settings, they're listed as IMAP/SMTP, except my pre-existing Hotmail account which say "Exchange ActiveSync."

The reason I'm not totally sure is that they were POP accounts in Eudora. (Except the Hotmail account, which was not set up in Eudora.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Did you restart Outlook after making the send/receive changes?

You can try this. With Outlook open and in Mail, click on the Send/Receive tab, click on the Send/Receive Groups button, click on "Disable Scheduled send/receive". Restart Outlook.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You go into the "Send/Receive" menu, then expand "Send/Receive Groups". It will show you a list of groups, if you have more than one, but at the bottom you should see an option to "Disable Scheduled Send/Receive". Then, to check for new mail manually, either press F9, or click on the icon at the very top left of the screen, above the word "File".

Lounger
    Thanks
    That's really interesting -- am I reading it right that I can put accounts in different groups and they could have different send/retrieve times? So that I could put my primary account in a group that would have send/receive either disabled or set to a really long period, and then put my hotmail account (which syncs my calendar and email but is not used for anything else) in a separate group with a short send/retrieve schedule? Right now, I think everything is in one group -- there's only one called "All Accounts."

IF that's right, I need to understand that more about the groups, and why, for instance, the Hotmail account has all grayed out options.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, you can have different send/receive groups with different times.

Exchange and Exchange ActiveSync accounts get push notifications when mail is available. The send/receive group settings do not affect the timing for them. The send/receive timing settings are for POP & IMAP accounts which must periodically connect to the server. To affect the send/receive of Exchange and Exchange ActiveSync accounts you must use the work offline setting. NOTE: the offline send/receive settings do affect Exchange and Exchange ActiveSync accounts when you are offline.
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Neat! Just to double check so I don't screw things up...if I set send/receive in Options-Advanced-Send/Receive to something like 2000 hours, it won't affect the sync-ing of my calendar and address book (which occurs -- as I understand it -- via my hotmail Exchange ActiveSync)?

What, then, determines how often the hotmail/Exchange account syncs

Seems to me that would get me to the illusive manual mail check. I wonder, then, why no one else in the great internet universe has posted that as a solution. Am I the only weirdo who wants to manually check mail?
    Last edited by greenbergman; 2016-07-27 at 10:05.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you remove (uncheck "include this account...") the POP/IMAP accounts from the send/receive group they should not be updated automatically. If you use F9 or the Send/Receive All button in the QAT then all the accounts should sync.
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbergman View Post
    Seems to me that would get me to the illusive manual mail check. I wonder, then, why no one else in the great internet universe has posted that as a solution. Am I the only weirdo who wants to manually check mail?
    Not at all. I ONLY check manually, having first run MailWasher to ensure that I will only receive what I want to receive. I think that "Disable Scheduled Send/Receive" is a global setting, applicable to all groups. I have two groups, one containing my email accounts (three of them), and another containing my wife's (she has two). Normally in the "wife" group, the box "Include this group in send/receive" is unchecked, but if her laptop is off the air for some reason, I can just check that box and temporarily receive her emails on my PC. Then I have a Rule saying that any messages received through her accounts will be placed in a separate folder, which can be easily exported when her laptop is back. And a reciprocal arrangement on her laptop.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to belabor the point, but is the conclusion that unchecking "Set send and receive settings for incoming and outgoing items" does NOT affect syncing between my phone and my hotmail account?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Synching your phone is up to the software on the phone. Outlook on the PC should ignore the send/receive settings for Exchange accounts.
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast