Lounger
    Thanks

combining inboxes

In my continuing (day-long, so far) quest to get Outlook to work the way I want it to -- as opposed to the way that MS dictates -- one of my big questions has to do with inboxes. In Eudora (and from what I gather, most email clients) there is one unified inbox for all accounts. In Outlook, OTOH, each account has its own inbox, outbox, etc. Which means having to constantly check each inbox for new mail, as well as looking for other filed emails in each account.

I'm attaching a Eudora screenshot showing a unified In and Out boxes as well as unified folders.

(The screen shot also depicts two more things I'm trying to figure out how to do in Outlook -- the first column to the left of the emails has a circle or an arrow or is blank to indicate whether an email has been read, or if it has been replied to or forwarded. And I can also manually or automatically color label an email. For instance, if I color a particular email, I can find it much more easily in its folder.)

Researching this online, it sounds like Outlook just can't do this. There are one or two very complex ways to set it up, but they are beyond what I'm comfortable doing.

Anyone know solutions to this -- or to the other issues in the parenthetical paragraph? (Apologies for ganging several questions in one post.)

The only work around I can think of is sending all mail to my gmail account and then downloading into Outlook from there. (I already do that for my primary accounts in order to utilize gmail's great filtering.)

Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by greenbergman; 2016-07-26 at 17:58.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    By default the subject of unread messages is a different color. Mine is blue. You may change this in the view settings conditional formatting along with the font and color for several other general message types. Also, for each folder you may right click, select Properties, click on the radio button near the center of the page to indicate which count you prefer to see for that folder.

Also in the view settings you may display the "icon" which shows you if the message has been forwarded or replied to. You may also manually or automatically (via rules) assign a color category to each message. Check the view settings to see which columns you want displayed.

Unfortunately, currently there is no built-in way to have a unified inbox in Outlook for Windows. You have to use VBA to accomplish that. I'm not a VBA person so I can't comment on the degree of difficulty.
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I had noticed the inbox bold and color mails changing to unbolded black. I hadn't, though, noticed the icons -- mainly because I hadn't yet replied or forwarded to any of the emails in the inbox. (D'oh)

Now, if I can figure out whether I can color label individual emails, or some other way to make them stand out within a folder...

The lack of a unified inbox is apparently a sore point among users. I've come across several forums where people are complaining about it -- and have been for a while.

Thanks
    You could consider making sub-folders to your In Box and then apply rules to move incoming e-mails to a specific folder; you can also apply colours (click on "Categorize" on the ribbon) to received mail (eg "family" "business" etc) to make them stand out more clearly (you can also apply category colours to individuals in your address book. Categories can also be re-named or new ones created).

For example; create an In Box sub-folder named "Mom" in your address book (right-click on the In Box and click on New Folder and type Mom) Using "Categorize" at the top of the Ribbon, assign a category with a chosen colour to your mother's name and e-mail address; renaming the category "Mom". Create a rule to move all e-mails arriving from your mother to the "Mom" sub-folder.

Does this help?
    Last edited by petesmst; 2016-07-27 at 05:29. Reason: Correected a few typos
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    If you access your accounts using the POP servers associated with the accounts, you can combine the inboxes of the accounts (File > Account Settings > Email > Change Folder). If you access via Exchange or IMAP then you can not.
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    http://www.gmayor.com