Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thunderbird - regular mails in Junk box

Unlike a previous poster who had lost all filtering, I'm suffering from mails from some close friends coming in as Junk continuously even when TB is told it is not Junk. And one regular correspondent in particular is reporting that the return replies also went into his Junk area. I'm on Windows, he's on Apple, and the only common link is that we are on British Telecom as ISP.

Is this an ISP or email client problem? It has only started in the last month.

Rob

Thanks
    I've found that when emails go into the junk folder it's the email provider doing it rather than Tbird. To fix it I logged into my email via the browser and marked them as not junk there. They then get moved into the inbox in Tbird - perhaps that's what's causing the problem. My email provider is Yahoo.
    My annoyance is that Tbird marks some senders as possible scams and there doesn't appear to be any way of telling it otherwise - the message says that Tbird is saying they're scam emails, not just putting them in a particular folder.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'd rather the odd false positive "scam" than none. It's easy to click "not a scam", or whatever its called.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I've found that when emails go into the junk folder it's the email provider doing it rather than Tbird. To fix it I logged into my email via the browser and marked them as not junk there. They then get moved into the inbox in Tbird - perhaps that's what's causing the problem. My email provider is Yahoo.
    My annoyance is that Tbird marks some senders as possible scams and there doesn't appear to be any way of telling it otherwise - the message says that Tbird is saying they're scam emails, not just putting them in a particular folder.
    Many thanks guys - yep, better safe than sorry, but irritating when one of your pals is consistently in what is tagged as "Bulk Mail". The filter for that is pretty accurate and rarely does anything which is coming in as a multiple delivery get passed it.

I'll try the ISP webpage approach and see if that helps.

Thanks again

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I use FossaMail which is a derivative of Tbird, and I get a similar problem. FM says mail is junk, I mark it not junk and for the moment everything is fine. However, if I switch off, or even reset, the message reappears marked as junk. I also use Yahoo Mail, and like you thought that resetting the mail in Yahoo via the browser should get over the problem, but then found that Yahoo Mail did not appear to mark the offending message as junk. Given the scenario, I do suspect that Yahoo is actually marking messages as junk without saying so. At present I just have to live with it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm the previous poster you mentioned -- I wish my problem was as easy to fix (at least it comes and goes)!

To get around your issue, create a message filter that runs against your friend's email address, then tell the filter to set junk status to Not Junk. Be sure it also has the default setting to run the filter before running the junk mail controls.

If this doesn't do the trick on its own, create a subfolder in your inbox and have the filter direct your friend's emails there. A tiny bit messier, but messages in the subfolder won't be subjected to the junk mail controls.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it all depends on whether the email account in question are IMAP or POP accounts IN THE ACCOUNT SETUP of Thunderbird.
    IMAP mirrors only what has happened on the provider's servers, POP downloads only into the inbox (barring individual local filtering!) and everything else is in Thunderbird.
    I know I am late to the party but feel that had to be said.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin