Lounger
    Thanks

Question File Explorer Crashes after Printer Update

I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, but those woes are for another thread. I have a fairly new Brother MFC all-in-one that sent a pop-up a few weeks ago with three updates - one for firmware and two for software, and I bit. The printer was working fine before that, and still is. But ever since the upgrade, every time I try to right-click on a file in File Explorer, it crashes. (And I have no clue what the names of those printer update files were).

When scanning an item, the scan function appends a series of number to the file name. I can select whether I want those numbers to be the date of the scan or a counter, but the option to choose "no numbers" doesn't exist. I don't want any numbers after the file name, since I need to send those scanned files to others. Up until the very moment of this update, I was able to right-click on the file name in File Explorer, choose Rename, and delete the numbers. Since then, the crashes happen every time.

I called Brother, and their crackerjack warranty support told me to contact the computer manufacturer. The computer is 4 or 5 years old, and I'm gonna pay Dell to tell me that it's Brother's problem? Is there a solution?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The reads like you have a corrupt context menu entry. Try one of the tools at Add, Remove, Edit Context Menu items in Windows 7 / 8 / 10.
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The reads like you have a corrupt context menu entry. Try one of the tools at Add, Remove, Edit Context Menu items in Windows 7 / 8 / 10.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Joe. Wouldn't I have to know which context menu item I'd need to remove? And if it needs to be edited, how would I do that? This seems to be beyond my computer ken.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I'd disable anything related to the Brother software since that is what you recently updated. If that does not fix it you can use the old binary search method of disabling half to see if the problem is gone. If it is not gone re-enable what you just disabled and then disable the other half. Once you figure out which half contains the problem entry reverse the steps re-enabling half to see if the problem occurs. Repeat the steps until you've narrowed it down to the culprit.
    Joe