davidhk

No sleep for the Anniversary Update ? Really ?

According to this article, MS is removing Sleep and Hibernate from Anniversary Update.

My power option has always been ...........to go to sleep when close the lid.
    Wonder if that option will also be removed.

If so, it will be a HUGE pain, because, on Restart, my laptop takes unreasonable time to go to sign in then desktop.
    I don't want to use netplwiz option, for security reason.

By the way, the article report is erroneous in this point............

quote : In late Insider builds for the Anniversary Update, Microsoft went one step further and also removed the sleep option from Start...... end quote.

That's wrong. My insider build 14393.5 still has Sleep option.

Thanks
    The article actually says:

"When Microsoft rolled out Windows 10 it removed hibernate from the power options in the Start menu—though you could put it back. In late Insider builds for the Anniversary Update, Microsoft went one step further and also removed the sleep option from Start.

We’re confirming with Microsoft that it has permanently removed the sleep option.No sleep, no hibernate?

Related to the removal of sleep—and once again, we’re confirming this with Microsoft—the notion of hibernate is missing completely from the Anniversary Update. When you dig into the power settings in the control panel and the Settings app, there are no mentions of hibernate or sleep functions.

This makes a certain amount of sense since hibernate and sleep were confusing terms for most Windows users. Nevertheless, it’s surprising to see that sleep and hibernate aren’t even available as power user options for those who want them."

(The italics above are mine)

It seems to me that there is doubt about SLEEP having been removed and that it might have been placed somewhere less easy to find?
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I am running the latest Insider Preview Version 1607 Build 14393.5. "Sleep" is present in the power options. "Hibernate" is not although there are still hibernate settings in the advanced power settings in Control Panel.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This makes ZERO sense to me. I can, perhaps, accept that Sleep and Hibernate are being removed from Start but not removed completely. There is Hybrid Sleep (or whatever the f* is the favorite term of the week) in Win10. Perhaps that's going to be the only type of sleep.

Regardless, a laptop on battery power has to be able to sleep/hibernate/rest/standby/whatever or the battery won't last.

NOW, what really concerns me is the bit about Cortana being shoved down our throats - again. And while we are at it, does anyone else think that Cortana is just an extension of Bing (which I also dislike).
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-07-27 at 09:36.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I am running the latest Insider Preview Version 1607 Build 14393.5. "Sleep" is present in the power options. "Hibernate" is not although there are still hibernate settings in the advanced power settings in Control Panel.
    That reminds me, on Insider Build the option of " Required a password on wake up" under Control Panel > Power Options is no longer available.

Last edited by davidhk; 2016-07-27 at 09:52.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, JoeP.
    Like you, I am on .5. I find both Sleep and Hibernate in the Start menu, vizi:

Sleep.jpg

I use Hibernate all the time when closing for the night. You be good. Jean.

Thanks
    The "forced" Cortana and "possible" sleep removal makes me glad that I didn't upgrade all my computers to W10, I only upgraded 1 to see how things go.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    That reminds me, on Insider Build the option of " Required a password on wake up" under Control Panel > Power Options is no longer available.
    Look at Settings | Accounts | Signin options.
    Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Look at Settings | Accounts | Signin options.
    OK. Thanks.

Thanks
    The article has been amended to include the following

Editor's note: This section originally stated that sleep and hibernate aren't available in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. That was incorrect; the author's system firmware doesn't support those functions, so they didn't appear in his power options. Sleep and hibernate will indeed still appear on most PCs with the Anniversary Update installed. We regret the error.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

P.A. (2016-08-02)

Thanks
    Good catch Browni.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Both sleep and hibernate have been removed for a long time now. All you have to do is right-click on the start menue and you see all options under Shut down or sign out. I actually mapped my power button to hibernate. Occasionally, I do a full shut down (or restart) when I feel I need to or when the OS update tells me to restart.

Thanks
    You can configure what you want to see in the Start Icon power button including enabling Hibernate if not already shown:
    http://winaero.com/blog/add-hibernat...in-windows-10/

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    The article has been amended to include the following
    Sounds like someone should be more careful of systems used to test new operating systems. Rather unprofessional!
    Rui
    -------
    R4