2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2016 won't open files

My recently installed Word 2016 sees most of the .docx files I try to open as corrupt and refuses to open them. These are important client files and they were not corrupt before my Word upgrade. The .docx's that open successfully do so in Compatibility Mode. When I try to open a .doc, a File Conversion dialog asks me to "select the coding that makes your document readable", which results in garbage text on my screen.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georic1 View Post
    My recently installed Word 2016 sees most of the .docx files I try to open as corrupt and refuses to open them. These are important client files and they were not corrupt before my Word upgrade. The .docx's that open successfully do so in Compatibility Mode. When I try to open a .doc, a File Conversion dialog asks me to "select the coding that makes your document readable", which results in garbage text on my screen.
    One thing I do when working with documents from clients' computers is keep a copy of the Free LibreOffice installed then make copies of the documents followed by opening them in LibreOffice. If the documents are still viable they open. www.libreoffice.org

Another program I use on occasion is QuickView Plus [been using it since back in Win95 days]. Again, if the document can be opened some text may be recoverable and saved as a new file.
    http://www.avantstar.com/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Berton. That sounds like good advice so I will incorporate it into my processes. I have concluded that the corruptions arose from a bad flash drive. As much as I would like to blame Word 2016, I'm gonna let it off the hook this time.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georic1 View Post
    Thanks, Berton. That sounds like good advice so I will incorporate it into my processes. I have concluded that the corruptions arose from a bad flash drive. As much as I would like to blame Word 2016, I'm gonna let it off the hook this time.
    You're welcome. Once is insufficient to paint a program as the culprit.