Star Lounger
    Thanks

Delaying Win 10 Upgrade

I have a great running Win 7 installation. I do not want to - at this time - upgrade to Win 10.

I have downloaded the file and placed it on a flash drive plus I have a copy of the downloaded file.

Do I have to go through the initial upgrade before the anniversary date and then revert back to Win 7?
    Or can I keep running Win 7 until I'm ready to upgrade sometime later this year. If I delay, will the upgrade still be free?

Thanks,

Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, there have to be a half dozen threads on this very subject already. Here's one to start off with:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-for-later-use
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, there have been numerous threads on this topic, but not one of them CLEARLY states you can download the ISO or other file and then set it aside for use AFTER the anniversary date.

They all step you through the process, but do NOT say you can do the installation/upgrade AFTER the anniversary date! They infer you have to do it BEFORE the anniversary date.

Thanks
    Yes. You have to do the upgrade and then revert back to Windows 7 if you want to preserve the option of a free upgrade to Windows 10 after July 29.

Jerry

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by paulp575 View Post
    Do I have to go through the initial upgrade before the anniversary date and then revert back to Win 7?
    Or can I keep running Win 7 until I'm ready to upgrade sometime later this year. If I delay, will the upgrade still be free?

Thanks,

Paul
    They infer you have to do it BEFORE the anniversary date.
    Clarification ..............
    Anniversary date is slated to be on August 2nd.

Deadline for Free Win 10 upgrade is July 29th. After July 29th, no more free upgrade.

If you want to have the right for a free upgrade but still want to run your Windows 7 for the time being, you will have to do the upgrade NOW so that you will have the Digital Entitlement which allows you to reinstall the same edition of Win 10 into the same computer any time you want and as often as you want.
    Once you have Win 10 installed and activated, you can then revert back to Win 7.
    But you have only till tomorrow ( July 29th ) to do that.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-07-28 at 13:16.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How successful is the reversion process back to Win 7? I don't want to mess up my currently running W7 which is working great.

Thanks
    The reversal process is pretty good but not infallible. It is highly recommended that you make an image of your o/s before attempting the upgrade.

davidhk
    How successful is the reversion process back to Win 7? I don't want to mess up my currently running W7 which is working great.
    I have personally done the revert option from Win 10 Home back to Win 7 Home Premium.
    It was successful without ill effects.
    I used the method as follow:
    Start button > Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > under Go back to Windows 7, I clicked the Get Started button > reverting process began.

That said, I had also read about people having trouble after reverting back using the same method as I did.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My first experience with Win 10 on another laptop ended quite badly where I had to factory reset with the recovery disks I'd created - these are a copy of the recovery Partition on an OEM machine - and then restore with the full system image I'd created before the upgrade.

While still in Win 7 I would advise you to go into the BIOS and permanently change the Boot order so that it reads the DVD and USB drives before the HDD and also create a System Repair Disk.

I've also seen it reported where using Win 10's facility to revert to the previous OS has gone badly, so I think I'd go for the external means of restoring the previous OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    My first experience with Win 10 on another laptop ended quite badly where I had to factory reset with the recovery disks....
    I saw this exact scenario with a laptop belonging to a friend. While the reversion process may work most of the time, if it doesn't for you, you're gonna be angry.

Best bet for safety's sake is a system image made with a 3rd-party tool. (I used Macrium Reflect Free) That gives you two independent paths back to your former o/s, and one of them is almost certain to work...
    Last edited by cbrillow; 2016-07-29 at 10:23. Reason: spelling