Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows 10 freezes

Hi:
    This Windows 10 computer freezes so now and then. After a freeze it starts up normally when first turning off the power to it and then turning it back on. Registry cleaning softwarte does not cure it. Is there a way to fix this problem short of a clean reinstall of Windows?
    Thanks,
    John K.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Are you doing the same thing when it freezes?
    Have you run anti-malware scans?
    Have you had Task Manager running so you might see if something is taking over?
    Have you tried running with a clean boot?
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do the fans sound any noisier prior to it freezing and is it a desktop or laptop ?

How much memory does it have installed ?

Windows Memory Diagnostic can only map 4GB at a time, but memory tests are best done on just one stick installed at a time.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-07-28 at 16:55.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...Windows Memory Diagnostic can only map 4GB at a time, but memory tests are best done on just one stick installed at a time.
    Best to test RAM with MemTest86: http://www.memtest86.com/

OP might want to clean the RAM contacts first by rubbing gently with a soft white pencil rubber (yanks call them "erasers") then brushing off any residues with a clean soft brush.

MemTestest86 doesn't care whether your Windows is 64bit or 32bit, and can test installed RAM up to the maximum supported by the motherboard (usually 32GB+ w/ current motherboards).
    Last edited by Coochin; 2016-07-29 at 23:54.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It has been found that when a member used Memtest86 with both sticks in, it failed to snag that one of the sticks was goosed and it was only when asked if the test had been done with both sticks in, it was confirmed it had been.

Subsequent boots with just each stick installed snagged the defective one because the machine failed to boot.

I suggested Windows Memory Diagnostic because of convenience as the frequency of freezes is indeterminate from the opening post and downloading/creating the disk could unduly load the memory to cause more freezes, that the op may not be possible.

My brother has 128GB RAM installed in his desktop that he home built but my laptops are maxed at 8GB.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-07-29 at 04:37.

Thanks
    It has been found that when a member used Memtest86 with both sticks in, it failed to snag that one of the sticks was goosed...
    I gave up on Microsoft's "Windows Memory Diagnostics" several years ago, and have since found MemTest86 to be 100% reliable.

...Subsequent boots with just each stick installed snagged the defective one because the machine failed to boot...
    That doesn't fit my experience using MemTest86. I have used MemTest86 to test RAM on several hundred customers' systems and have total confidence in what MemTest86 reports. Makes no difference if just 1 of 2 or 1 of 4 RAM chips are installed - MemTest86 tests the total RAM present - if just one of the chips has errors then MemTest86 will report so.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That wasn't the experience of the member or what is recommended in this article -

http://www.techfleece.com/2013/07/01...ing-memtest86/

Thanks
    I preferred MemTest86+ (as in the article above) for 8+ passes. More passes increase the likelihood of oddities/false positives, suggest 7+ and users might exit as soon as they see 7 Passes - I've seen a small number of fails on 7 and 8 passes reported, post-replacement, no issues.

As with all diagnostic software, with the rate of progress of hardware, it's likely that 'the best' software will change order several times each year, as new sub-versions are released, new memory controllers/CPUs hit the market.

In most instances I've seen so far of freezing on W10, it's down to software/drivers/bad drives, sometimes malware. A clean install cures most of them, if you can convince the User not to go through the same old software install routine that they've used for the last 5+ years, get them to avoid any tweaking/utility software, including those from motherboard/graphics makers. 10 days down the line with zero similar issues and you can sign them off.

I think Reliability Reports/Event logs might be one of the first things asked for in most cases, along with a blow-by-blow report of how the freezes begin, if they're occasional/regular/sporadic.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Are you doing the same thing when it freezes?
    Have you run anti-malware scans?
    Have you had Task Manager running so you might see if something is taking over?
    Have you tried running with a clean boot?
    Thanks, Joe. It may be freezing only when I am on the internet, but I am not sure of that. There is no clear repetition of when it freezes that I'm aware of. It appears totally at random. Both CCleaner and Malwarebites declare the register clean.
    I do not know what you mean by a clean boot. After a freeze I turn off the power to the computer. When turning the power back on it boots up normally.
    The Task Manager does not show any open programs that I do not recognize.
    John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Thanks Joe. A clean boot did not fix it either.
    John K

Administrator
    Thanks
    See Sudo's post #3.
    Joe

Thanks
    Is Malwarebytes the Premium version? Was it clean installed on W10, or upgraded with it already installed?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Is Malwarebytes the Premium version? Was it clean installed on W10, or upgraded with it already installed?
    No, I use the free version of Malwarebytes. It was clean installed on W10 and gets updated almost every time I use it.

Thanks
    Okay, continue with the Clean Boot, if it all works as expected, it's almost certainly *something* that loads up in normal boot and it'll be time to work through them to isolate the culprit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast