Thanks

Looks like MS is forcing EDGE to be the browser of choice

Today I tried D/Ling and using the new HP Cloud Recovery Client on my HP ProBook with W10 ver. 1511 build 10586.494 ( Upgraded from W7 Pro 8/4/15 ). I was having problems so I called HP support and they suggested I D/L the UEFI Diagnostics tool in case it's a hardware problem.

On Chrome I couldn’t get the download to finish the UEFI Diagnostics tool from this link: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/h...gnostics_cc/dt

On my HP ProBook with W10 ver. 1511 build 10586.494, I tried chrome and the file would get to the end of the download and say “Failed:network error”. I tried IE 11 and it wouldn’t even let me go to that url.

So I tried the download on my windows 7 computer and it had no problems at all downloading the file in chrome. Then I went back to my HP ProBook and decided to try the url in the EDGE browser and guess what, it downloads it fine there.

Conclusion: Microsoft is forcing the use of EDGE over chrome and IE 11. I had no similar problems with chrome or IE 11 until this last update on W10.

As to the HP Cloud Recovery Client that I was having trouble with when I called today, I’m not sure what caused that but I hope it’s not tied to the way Microsoft handles downloads for the Recovery Client in W10.

I don’t know exactly how the HP Cloud Recovery Client works but I assume that it’s a download to the USB stick.

davidhk
    RE : downloading HP Diagnostic Tool

I have no problem using IE 11 to download your link. ( I don't use Chrome ).
    Windows 10 Home RTM 10586.494

DL HP diagnostic tool #2.jpg
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-07-29 at 04:40.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to davidhk For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-07-29)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try resetting your browsers to defaults.

Since upgrading to Win 10 I've had to do that twice with IE11 to access the Win 10 Upgrade now site as I was just left with a blank window.

Also don't use Chrome or Edge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-07-29)

Thanks
    Go To Control Panel\Default Programs\Set Default Programs\

Click on "Internet Explorer" then click on "set this program as default" to use IE11 instead of Edge as your Internet browser.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-07-29)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Conclusion: Microsoft is forcing the use of EDGE over chrome and IE 11.
    Based on a single download? It's Microsoft's fault when Chrome doesn't work?

Thanks
    No problem in Palemoon either...

hp.PNG

(latest insider version)

Thanks
    I will certainly look to see if defaults have been changed from the last update. Previously I had no problems whatsoever with IE 11 or Chrome.
    As I said in 1st post, IE 11 wouldn't even allow the url I listed to go to the site. So the obvious is that "something" has changed for Chrome and IE 11.
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, I will have to see how it goes ( I'm not on W10 right now ).

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I will certainly look to see if defaults have been changed from the last update. Previously I had no problems whatsoever with IE 11 or Chrome.
    As I said in 1st post, IE 11 wouldn't even allow the url I listed to go to the site. So the obvious is that "something" has changed for Chrome and IE 11.
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, I will have to see how it goes ( I'm not on W10 right now ).
    I don't believe the issue is on which browser is the default.

I just switched default to Edge, and I was able to download the same using IE11.
    Conversely, switching default back to IE11, I was also able to download the same using Edge.

davidhk
    Perhaps you would want to clear your browsers cache, both IE and Chrome.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Perhaps you would want to clear your browsers cache, both IE and Chrome.
    I have IE set to clear upon exit, I clear chrome every night before shutting down.
    I ran chkdsk /f and then I tried IE again and it went straight to the url so that seems to be ok again ( it's still set as default browser ). I haven't tried the chrome D/L yet.

Thanks
    Since there have been no more replies and I have the file anyway I will close this IE thread.