Thanks

Change of email providers

I'm sorry to bother you, but I need help. I got my e-mail address on the forum changed to one from yahoo. My old ISP, e-mail is ceasing operations. I need to know how to get my new mail to bounce to yahoo while I'm doing hundreds of e-mail changes, and how to get all my mail copied off the old address. I tried searching with Google and couldn't find what seemed to be the right answer -- most of them wanted to stop their e-mail from bouncing. And I can't figure out why I can't find a link to post this question in the forum. Thank you from a lifetime subscriber!
    Last edited by ruirib; 2016-07-29 at 12:12. Reason: Hide user's email address

Thanks
    How soon is your old ISB going to cease operations? If it will be a while, then you could put in a rule to forward every single incoming message to your new address. But this will only work till they shut down. In other words, they will "bounce" your email to your new address only as long as they are providing email service to you. It is up to them to decide how long that will be, or if maybe they will continue providing email forwarding for a bit longer after they shut down.

As far as how to copy your email, if the old ISP offers IMAP email access, then it will be very easy to do:
    1. Select an email program to access your email. Thunderbird would be a good choice, if you don't know which one to select.
    2. Set up your email program to access your email using the IMAP protocol. (Your ISP can give you the proper settings.)

Once you have done this, it will take just a few minute for ALL of your email to be automatically copied to your email program.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    ...2. Set up your email program to access your email using the IMAP protocol. (Your ISP can give you the proper settings.)...
    Wrong.

With IMAP the messages are stored on the provider's mailserver; the OP says "My old ISP, e-mail is ceasing operations" so once that happens the messages will not be available via IMAP.

On the other hand with POP the messages are downloaded from the provider's mailserver and stored on the local computer; depending on the "server settings" in the email client the messages will be deleted from the provider's mailserver.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I forgot to say that he should tell it to download the email, not just the email headers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Situations like this show why nobody should ever use an ISP-provided e-mail account. Also, using an ISP e-mail account impedes churning to a new ISP for a better deal if one is offered, due to the massive inconvenience involved.