Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Are You a Last Second Windows 10 Adopter?

I have 4 PCs--older Win7 Home Premium laptop and desktop and newer Win7 Pro laptop and desktop with Win10 license. I updated the older ones overnight and this morning. I will do the newer ones when I get home from work.

I was most concerned about the older laptop as it uses a custom-written Toshiba video driver meaning I could not go to and use an Intel-provided driver if the current/latest driver was not compatible. So far, it appears to be OK.

I used the MS Media Creation Tool to make 2 USB drives with Win10. Even though it took a couple of hours to do the update, the USB drives probably saved me a fair amount of time doing the updates.

My Win10 concern is the updates. A work PC had an issue with a kernel update a couple of years ago. The PC's CAD-based app installed shortcuts in the fonts folder rather than font files. The kernel update did not like that and thus the BSOD. I had to back the culprit patch out until MS fixed it. I have not had any issues like that with my own PCs, just the occasional failed update that succeeded on the next patch attempt.

What is your story?
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

I am a last couple weeks adopter. Upgraded 3 of my computers plus two of a friend.
    My concerns are similar to yours, regarding updates. Let's hope nothing really bad happens.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    As the saying goes "Trust but Verify" or in Computer terms Update but Image First!
    ROTFLOL.gif
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks

Yes, I did make images of my PCs

Can you speak up, RetiredGeek.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been running the Insider Preview since December of 2014, and updated 5 of my own machines to the production version in the past couple of months.

I did one yesterday via Teamviewer to a friend's machine in New Orleans -- I'm in the Detroit area -- after sending him to the store for a USB stick on which to write a Macrium Reflect system image. This included talking an 86 year old, hard-of-hearing man with macular degeneration through the final setup steps after losing the Teamview connection during the reboot.

All of my upgrade experiences have gone smoothly, and not one of the owners has chosen to go back to the previous O/S. (A friend who upgraded on his own and tried to revert, failed miserably, and I bailed him out by fixing Windows 7, but that doesn't count towards my experiences...)

Thanks
    @cbrillow,

I would say that the update experience has been smooth in terms of once it gets going, I have not had to sit there waiting to do something to keep the process moving.
    Ray

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It took me a week to sort out a factory reset Win 7 laptop and its updates before it would let me upgrade - in fact it was the last batch of Win 7 updates that gave me the option to upgrade through Windows Updates, but I have no complaint with the end result except that I had to play around with a couple of wireless drivers and have had to reset IE11 twice.

I upgraded another laptop shortly after its release last year but that didn't work out.

That upgrade seemed to be taking me all over the place and I found myself creating a MS account, whereas this time around it was just a case of swapping one OS for another with no complications when it did happen.

Thanks
    I upgraded my wife's old laptop a couple of days ago. It has a problem with the screen and I have to have a separate screen to be able to use it. It was from Win 7, but the laptop came with Vista. It also has the fans running constantly. The upgrade was quite slow - I think it was waiting to download something but it never got past 0%, however, the upgrade was proceeding as well, with a the percentage done number increasing slowly. Eventually it rebooted and came up with the Win 10 setup and everything worked fine after that. Even the jittery screen seems to have stopped jittering. I'm not sure if the fan is still roaring away, I haven't had it on long enough to judge.
    At last we have all our PCs on Win 10 and off that Win 7 OS. Did I ever say I didn't like Win 7?
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It took me a week to sort out a factory reset Win 7 laptop and its updates before it would let me upgrade - in fact it was the last batch of Win 7 updates that gave me the option to upgrade through Windows Updates...
    Of the 10 or so machines I upgraded, not one was done through Windows Update. Did one or two with the Windows 7 Media Creation tool and an iso image, but the rest were done by just searching Google for "Windows 10 upgrade" which linked directly to the M/S Windows 10 page, with a big 'Upgrade Now' button. (or something like that -- may not be the exact verbiage...)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrillow View Post
    Of the 10 or so machines I upgraded, not one was done through Windows Update. Did one or two with the Windows 7 Media Creation tool and an iso image, but the rest were done by just searching Google for "Windows 10 upgrade" which linked directly to the M/S Windows 10 page, with a big 'Upgrade Now' button. (or something like that -- may not be the exact verbiage...)
    I tried all of that with the Upgrade now stopped interacting with Windows on 99%.

Whatever was the problem in getting Win 7's updates through natural means was what was preventing the upgrade.

Had to use WSUS Offline in the end to get the updates which found and installed about half of them and then the rest came naturally which eventually presented me with a big blue screen inviting me to upgrade - so I grabbed the chance while it was there

Thanks

My Regretable Experience with Win10

I posted the following over on the mozillazine forums:
    I am sorry that I tried Windows 10.

• After less than a day, I had to do a full restore of my newer desktop because (almost?) all the right-click Start Button menu items stopped working. I received errors that the attendant files could not be found.
    • Also, the Start Menu power button options also stopped working.
    • On my newer laptop, several times I started having the right-clicking any of the left side items in File Explorer crash Explorer. (I saw this on some of my other computers, too.)
    • Sleep and Hiberate did not work as they should have on my laptop either taking minutes or more to run.
    • After updating my newer laptop to the Anniversary Update, it exhibited a problem that when I began researching it, the first result was posted in 2015! Microsoft hasn't figured this out yet?
    • EDIT: I recall now what the problem was after applying the Anniversary Update. When the screen would turn off for no activity on the laptop, it was turning off earlier that the time I had set (off at 5 minutes rather than 15 minutes) AND I would have to re-enter my password to get back to the screen desktop. I did not have my system set with a screen saver let alone requiring a password when reactivating the screen! The kicker was that the first search result was to another user reporting a similar issue in a forum and there was no answer to the inquiry despite being posted in 2015!

Keep in mind that my newer laptop and desktop were purchased with Windows 10 licenses and Windows 7 Pro installed! How could these machines be "incompatible" with Windows 10?

Also, I downloaded the version before the Anniversary Update (1511?) rather than relying on Windows Update to update my computers.

One issue I may have had was the Intel Management Engine software that recommended NOT using the latest version! Instead, use older versions of this software. How can this be a year after Windows 10 was released as well as considering that Windows 10 should have benefited from the problems that Windows 8, 8.1 and 8.1 Update had and should have been resolved by now?

I got tired of running sfc /scannow--especially when it returned that there were no problems with the system files--and the various iterations of DISM only to have the issue(s) reappear.

As far as I am concerned, Windows 10 is as bad as Windows 8, et al. I am seriously considering for my next computer the purchase of a Mac or giving Linux another try. I really wanted to like Windows 10. It is simply inexcusable that Microsoft considers Windows 10 a worthy product. My experience says it is a sticking piece of sh*t.
    My recommendation is if you have any concerns--and, hopefully, you have full backups, disk images in my case--to easily and quickly revert your systems back to Win7.
    Ray

Thanks
    Maybe foolish. Maybe not.

I decided to give Win10 (1511) another try. So far, so good.

The only issue I have seen is after the computer only being restarted for installations and updates, when I went to shut it down before going to bed, it went close to a minute before the shutdown screen came on screen. It shut down, as expected. The next morning, after I was done with my morning routine--checking email, minimal browsing--it promptly shut down, as expected.

I think I did make some tweaks to the computer's power setting after switching it to "High Performance". Before I shut down, I did go to the power settings and reset the "High Performance" settings--I am still using "High Performance", but at its default settings.

I had also enabled hibernation, if that matters.

Has anyone else had any experiences like this?
    Ray

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    In various posts you've enumerated several issues. If you are asking about your latest post, shutdown issues are often driver or networking problems. Usually a driver does not respond quickly enough so the shutdown process appears to be hung. It could also be a network device not responding so the same symptom as with a driver occurs.

If you've enabled hibernation check to see if fast startup is enabled. See How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10. Note that some wakeup problems can be resolved by disabling fast startup.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    In various posts you've enumerated several issues. If you are asking about your latest post, shutdown issues are often driver or networking problems. Usually a driver does not respond quickly enough so the shutdown process appears to be hung. It could also be a network device not responding so the same symptom as with a driver occurs.

If you've enabled hibernation check to see if fast startup is enabled. See How to Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10. Note that some wakeup problems can be resolved by disabling fast startup.
    Joe,

Thanks. I will take a wait and see approach as this has only happened once.

Doing a clean install, I have either drivers installed during the OS installation or those I installed from either the computer maker (Toshiba) or the hardware makers (Intel). As I had stated, I had no "delays" when restarting to install drivers and such or software that required restarts to complete the installation. This included OS updates, too.

EDIT: FYI: This time I did a clean install rather than an upgrade install as I had done previously. I suspect that Microsoft still has not fully addressed issues that, if corrected, would bring upgrading to on par with clean installs.
    Last edited by WildcatRay; 2016-09-13 at 12:53.
    Ray

Thanks
    I suspect my issue is the utility Toshiba Service Station (TSS).

TSS is supposed to scan the computer and it's hardware and then check with Toshiba Support for updates to drivers and such.

What was happening on my Win10 system is that TSS kept insisting that I had out-of-date drivers for the computer's sound and wireless LAN. The sound driver updated as expected. However, the wireless driver downloaded was older than the one installed.

Even after all of this, TSS still showed both needed to be updated rather than the expected removed like older versions of TSS on Win7 systems.

When I had the long pauses before the computer shut down, I had manually started TSS's Check for Updates. I suspect this may still have been going on in the background when I went to shut the computer down. After uninstalling TSS yesterday, computer promptly entered the shutdown process and was off in less than 30 seconds.
    Ray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast