New Lounger
    Thanks

How to properly format SSD drive?

I'm on win 7 64bit running on a SATA hard drive right now but want to move on to my SSD and need to format it to start a new clone.

I plugged it into my win 7 and as soon as I go to disk management --- it had a heart attack and everything froze up, so I did a force shut down and un-plugged it, everything is back to normal in win7.

Is there another way to format this SSD drive?
    Last edited by moonuser; 2016-07-29 at 12:58.
    " Even a broken clock is right twice a day. "

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    According to this it shouldn't have done - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/st...t-ssd-3588491/

(I assume you had plugged it in properly)

It sounds as if something is wrong with it so I'd see about having it RMA'd for a replacement.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, thanks Sudo15.
    " Even a broken clock is right twice a day. "

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Let us know how you get on.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you are creating a clone you don't need to format the drive, the clone software effectively does it for you.

See this thread for instructions on migrating to the SSD.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-SSD-from-SATA

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should not have to format the drive for Disk Manager to display information about it. From the symptoms you described, I would guess that either the cables were not correctly plugged in (I've had cables come loose when I had to plug the cables in before inserting the drive into the drive bracket), the cables are bad (I would try another set of cables, both power and IDE), or the drive is bad (if I was absolutely sure that the cables were OK, e.g. the cables work with another drive, I would go so far as to place the drive into an external enclosure and see if it will connect via USB, and if that failed, I'd return/exchange the drive).

BTW, with my current SSD, I had issues when I first started using it because I laid it on top on one of my other drives (rather than securing it into its holding bracket). I did this because I was temporarily trying to install the OS on it and did not want to physically remove my existing OS drive from the case until I had the new OS installed. I had various issues with intermitted hangs and OS crashes, to the point where I suspected a bad drive. But moving the drive elsewhere (I left the side of the case open and had the drive dangling outside of the case) solved the issues. And once I placed the drive into its permanent home (in place of the old drive that I removed), it hasn't given me any problems. So also double-check that the SSD drive is well isolated from the other components.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moonuser View Post
    I'm on win 7 64bit running on a SATA hard drive right now but want to move on to my SSD and need to format it to start a new clone.

I plugged it into my win 7 and as soon as I go to disk management --- it had a heart attack and everything froze up, so I did a force shut down and un-plugged it, everything is back to normal in win7.

Is there another way to format this SSD drive?
    A GOOD cloning program copies the boot sector and everything else from the original drive to the receiving drive, (Clone) and there is absolutely NO NEED to do anything to the clone drive before actually performing the CLONE operation.

Sounds like someone does not have a good grasp on just what Cloning means. Eh?
    Every BIT on the original drive is copied over to the receiving drive, and that includes the format, because that's just another part of the data on the drive. If the receiving drive is formatted, that will just be overwritten during the cloning process. So formatting a receiving drive is just a gross waste of time and effort.

When I bought my first SSD last summer, I used my "Ghost 11.5" program to clone my 1TB Seagate drive to my new SSD. The operation went off like it was supposed to, and in less than 1/2 hour, I had an exact copy of my spinner on my new SSD, with partitions adjusted to fit on the SSD. And I regularly do a clone of my SSD to a spinner as a full disk backup.

Don't take something so simple and try to make something difficult out of it.

Good Luck Mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!