Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Advertisements to begin with Aug. 2nd AU

Interesting article by Woody about the "Unstoppable" advertisements coming to W10 Pro after the Anniversary Update by changing the GPEDIT. I guess this helps pay for the "Free" upgrade by spamming you.
    More forced advertising creeps into Windows 10 Pro

http://www.infoworld.com/article/310...ws-10-pro.html

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Sure glad I saved that Image of Win 8.1 Pro!

I think MS is in for a world of hurt when this gets out. Unless someone figures out a way to block it I'll be learning Linux! Sure glad I didn't invest in a new version of Office!

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Woody's site has a number (currently 28) of responses about this: Details about the Win10 Pro disappearing group policies.

Microsoft removes policies from Windows 10 Pro over at ghacks is over 180 comments already.

Top story on MS's Windows10 blog: Windows Store Weekly: great new titles in this week, alongside Windows Insider Program.next()

Meanwhile, back at Martin Brinkmann's ghacks site: You can still grab a free Windows 10 copy after July 29, 2016 "Microsoft made the decision to provide the free upgrade offer to all customers who need assistive technologies. This means that anyone can click on the upgrade now button on the website to start the upgrade process."

We are not restricting the free upgrade offer to specific assistive technologies. If you use assistive technology on Windows, you are eligible for the free upgrade offer.

As an occasional user of Little Sky's Colorblind Assistant, reckon I don't have to rush to grab W10 for free, wish I'd known that months ago. Anyone who uses the OSK or Magnifier could also upgrade with a clear conscience.

Judging by the Event logs on my #2 PC, there's already a non- GPedit/Regedit method of killing Cortana, gotta wait to find out whether that method can still be applied to this new Advertising Edition of W10.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Why all the angst? The article talks about domain joined Win10 Pro systems. This is nothing new for non-domain joined systems. It has been known to be coming for a long time.

We all use services that push advertising. Google still gets >90% of its revenue from ads. Plenty of people gladly use its services.

Why not wait and see before getting upset? From what I've seen they are pretty unobtrusive. Ignore the ads. See if someone comes up with a way to block them.
    Joe

Thanks
    Angst? Why not interest?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Woody can't write anything about Windows 10 without unnecessarily inserting the word "forced".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Sure glad I saved that Image of Win 8.1 Pro!

I think MS is in for a world of hurt when this gets out. Unless someone figures out a way to block it I'll be learning Linux! Sure glad I didn't invest in a new version of Office!

Agreed
    Although I don't yet know the outcome of the advertisement "thing", it makes me glad that I only upgraded 1 computer to W10 and left the others alone. It may cost me in a few years but hopefully things will be peaceful in the meantime.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2016-07-30 at 10:28.

Thanks
    @Rick Corbett and @Bruce R: Is anyone taking bets/wagers as to who will win this "to-force-or-not-to-force" battle?(!!!!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst
    @Rick Corbett and @Bruce R: Is anyone taking bets/wagers as to who will win this "to-force-or-not-to-force" battle?(!!!!)
    What battle? Everybody is entitled to an opinion.

Edit: I actually agree with BruceR, i.e. Woody does appear to have a thing about Windows 10's reduction of choices.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-07-31 at 06:51.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's more to come.

Obviously Microsoft will continue to crank up the pain until business users transfer from Professional to Enterprise at $84 per user per annum.

Leaving domestic users in . . . a world of pain.

Did anyone really think that W10 was free ?

Thanks
    @Rick Corbett: No offence intended. You listed 12 articles and @BruceR listed 10. I am interested" to know which of the two sets of "opposing opinions" will be proven correct? Of course there is no battle.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did customers want more ads ?
    Probably not.
    Did Microsoft make ads non-optional ?
    Yes.
    Is there an ad-free option, at a higher price, for domestic users ?
    No.
    So was that changed "forced" ?
    I think so.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is my tipping point - I regraded ( it isn't an upgrade) one of my W7 laptops to experience and assess W10.

I didn't find a material difference really although my scanner has no W10 drivers, a couple of important applications didn't run properly and I found home networking a monumental pain to set up.

I was a bit concerned about the volume of uploads - I thought at first I had a virus but eventually concluded these were being driven by W10 itself. I have no idea what they contain and, if Microsoft can download and upload whatever they want, whenever they want, I fear for my security.

But having to wade through ads to get to my work is boring to say the least and has finally tipped me into dumping my experiment. I did the Acronis restore this morning - what a relief !

You know I have no inherent objection to advertising - it's just a matter of what, how much, where and when.

The dishwasher in front of me shows the manufacturer's name, my car has a sticker in the back window with the dealer's name, my Android phone has a few applications supported by ads (which I can turn off by paying a small fee - I have done so in some cases) and my photo-editing software occasionally pops up with a proposed upgrade.

I can cope with this.

What I can't cope with (strictly "can't be bothered with") is the in-your-face Microsoft idea of littering my chosen path with ads none of which (a phrase I use with some care) are of the slightest interest to me. A good walk spoiled.

I've got at least 4 years to think about my onward path with computing, but by then I expect the landscape will be very different - so I shan't occupy myself with that question for a while yet.

Unless Microsoft choose to mess with W7 . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast