New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Server 2008 at House

I am attempting to install MS Server 2008 at my home. I have a computer to act as server and I already installed the server software and it is activated and all updates installed. We have a business website domain name, but it is on no way linked to my ISP (Uverse) account as we have a dynamic IP through them. Another provider does website hosting. Server computer would have a static IP within our house network.
    What would I enter for a FQDN when I make a new network Domain, and what about DNS settings?

I have tried searching in so many places including TechNet with no luck.

Thank you!!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do NOT create a domain on your server that is the same as the business domain you have registered. Your Active Directory domain should always be private, not public.

I would not even create a domain on the server unless you are skilled in AD set up and management. You can do everything you need with a user share or two.

If you want to host your business web site, user an external hosting provider. They provide the required security, management and backup, leaving you to get on with the important job of web site creation and management.

If you really want to set up an AD domain tell us how many computers you have and how many users you need. We can go from there.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply, Paul! Well, the purpose is to be able to have multiple users (5 users) within the domain that can login to any of the 5-6 computers, just depending which computer they are at. Of course when passwords change, I won't be changing them on every single computer manually. I would later add a drive share and restrict to that user only for privacy. I also have access to the Windows 2012 Essentials server which is a bit less complicated to a degree, but all the same.

I understand the setting up of OUs, computers, group, users, and how to add a share disk. I don't need a link to the outside world, so I was curious why I had to do DNS settings, etc. I really just want to have centralized user directory and shared disk. There won't be remote access or VPN coming in.
    Last edited by joshuaw; 2016-07-30 at 10:37.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You may want all machines to have the same software loaded and roaming profiles to retain software settings.

DNS is required for AD to work. You install DNS and DHCP (or use DHCP on your internet router) on the first Domain Controller as part of the DCPROMO process - before if you are using W2003.
    You need to configure your DHCP server to use the DC as DNS and then create a DNS forwarder on the server for internet access.

The FQDN should be something like MYDOMAIN.LOCAL.
    You can use AD.MYDOMAIN.COM, but that complicates access to MYDOMAIN.COM because the DNS / router won't send internal requests externally without tricky config.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

joshuaw (2016-08-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I decided to install Windows Server 2012 Essentials and now everything works like a charm. I do have one question about backup drives, but I'll start a proper thread after doing some searching on existing threads. Thanks!