Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a backup function in Win 10 - I'm confused?

[Dell XPS4700 Win 10 Pro 64-Bit]

I recently upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8.1 but I'm a bit confused by the backup function in the Control Panel where it says 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)'. Presumably it means it's OK for everyone INCLUDING Win 7 users? I'd be grateful if someone could just clarify that.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's only included for the benefit of people who were using it on Windows 7: Backup and Restore in Windows 10

Windows 10 users are encouraged to use File History: Back up and restore your files
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-07-30 at 08:47.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would still recommend people get Macrium Reflect (paid or free) and image their computer to an external drive on a regular basis.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2016-08-04)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bodger99 View Post
    [Dell XPS4700 Win 10 Pro 64-Bit]

I recently upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8.1 but I'm a bit confused by the backup function in the Control Panel where it says 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)'. Presumably it means it's OK for everyone INCLUDING Win 7 users? I'd be grateful if someone could just clarify that.

Thanks
    My understanding is that the built-in backup using Windows 8 was different than in 7. The imaging/backup included in Windows 10 is back to the old Win7 procedure. And, 10 allows you to access backups (even old Windows 7 images) to grab specific files and folders.
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-07-30 at 14:17. Reason: inserted a word

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    My understanding is that the built-in backup using Windows 8 was different than in 7. The imaging/backup included in Windows 10 is back to the old Win7 procedure.
    Windows 8 had Windows 7 Backup/Restore too: How to Use Windows 7’s Backup Tools in Windows 8

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I would still recommend people get Macrium Reflect (paid or free) and image their computer to an external drive on a regular basis.
    I vaguely remember being able to do something like this in Win 8.1. Presumably, you can still do it in Win 10 - if so, how?

Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bodger99 View Post
    I vaguely remember being able to do something like this in Win 8.1. Presumably, you can still do it in Win 10 - if so, how?
    To use the software built into Windows 10 just use 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' which you mentioned in your original post.
    Or, to use Macrium Reflect instead, download it from Macrium. They have both a free version or a commercial version.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    ... get Macrium Reflect ... and image their computer ...
    +1
    and AMEN to that!
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Over 30+ years, I have use a plethora of different backup software and storage. From floppy disks to tape to DAT to Zip Drives to external hard drives to network drives to micro-SD's, etc, etc... In all that time, I had one big issue and that was it was often time consuming to restore files and quite impossible to restore an entire HD.

Macrium Reflect and other similar products solve this problem by using something built into Windows that allows it to take a "snapshot" of your hard drive and store that. Once complete, you can mount this copy just like a virtual drive and copy any files back from it that you want. More importantly, if your drive gets really messed up, you can restore the entire partition from that image.

I don't know how much better Windows backup has gotten but in the past it wasn't very good for this sort of thing. You could backup and restore individual files but could not image a drive. If that has changed, then I say it's about time. But even if it has, I have used and trusted Reflect for a number of years and it has saved my butt a few times when I (or Windows) did something massively stupid. So I see no compelling reason to change.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)