New Lounger
    Thanks

Will the real Win10 free upgrade deadline please stand up

With the July 29 deadline looming and Win10 not showing in Windows Update on a Win7Home 64-bit machine, yesterday morning I proceeded to initiate the "upgrade" via the Get Win10 icon in the task tray. Via the Get Win10 icon the download started right away and the upgrade completed.

On a second machine running Win7Ultimate 64-bit, Win10 also not showing in Windows Update, I again proceeded to initiate the upgrade via the Get Win10 icon in the task tray. Rather than offering an immediate download there was a button to reserve a copy for install after July 29th. I did so, and then received a confirmation window stating, "You'll get a notification when Windows 10 is ready for you. Install when you get a notification after July 29th". I figured perhaps this is a process instituted to alleviate the high server load on the last day.

So as instructed I waited on the second machine. News reports are sticking to the July 29 deadline. Did MS lead me astray?
    Last edited by RebusCom; 2016-07-30 at 15:15.

Thanks
    There's a possible alt. method that should still enable you to upgrade listed in #3 here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RebusCom View Post
    Rather than offering an immediate download there was a button to reserve a copy for install after July 29th. I did so, and then received a confirmation window stating, "You'll get a notification when Windows 10 is ready for you. Install when you get a notification after July 29th".
    Last year.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Last year.
    No year was printed in the notice. So MS didn't update the notice? This machine gets it's updates automatically and has received many over the past year.

Thanks
    Windows 7 and 8 keys may still work From http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-ha...-july-29-2016/

For procrastinators who think they might have waited too long, my testing this morning uncovered one surprise: Product keys from earlier Windows versions still work on Windows 10. I created a new virtual machine and installed Windows 10 version 1607 Pro using an ISO image. I entered a never-used Windows 7 Ultimate product key, and my copy of Windows 10 was automatically activated with a digital entitlement.
    Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    There's a possible alt. method that should still enable you to upgrade listed in #3 here
    Yes. The Super-Secret-Assisted-Technology-Upgrade. Not to be confused with the Super-Secret-Procrastinators-Last-Chance-Upgrade (date to be announced, sometime, when we get around to it).
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)