Lounger
    Thanks

Office 365, How do I start?

I have been using Microsoft Office forever -- almost -- ever since Word Perfect folded from sight. I just started the trial month for 365 Home. All I see at the moment is I now have 2016 in addition to 2013. When I open something with 2016 it uses my existing data. There is a bit of a different look but that's a trivial issue, something like Windows 8 looked different from earlier versions -- big deal about nothing.
    My question is, "Where do I go from here?"
    What do I have now that is different and how do I use it/them?
    How will we, who are not in a business, share?
    How can I use it on my Android phone?
    How do I use one terabyte?
    Are there web pages that will teach me or do I have to buy a book? I am frugal (cheap) and so often the books are overpriced for what they offer.
    I will probably have more questions if somebody opens some doors for me.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    My question is, "Where do I go from here?" - use the office programs as you normally have been.

What do I have now that is different and how do I use it/them? - you weren't specific on the Office 2013 SKU you have installed. With which Office programs are you familiar? See What's new and improved in Office 2016 for Office 365 for information on changes.

How will we, who are not in a business, share? - OneDrive, DropBox, Google Drive. What is your preference.

How can I use it on my Android phone? - Install the Office apps

How do I use one terabyte? - save documents/files to OneDrive.
    Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

billacorn (2016-10-29)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSully
    I have been using Microsoft Office forever -- almost -- ever since Word Perfect folded from sight.
    WordPerfect is still available, although the Standard edition of the latest WordPerfect Office X8 is an eye-watering £280.00 ($370.00). The Professional version is - wait for it - £450.00 ($595.00). However, the Home & Student Edition is a more reasonable £85.00 ($112.00).

As you are still on the Office 365 trial period, JoeP517 and Lugh provided useful info about Office 2013 vs Office 2016 in a recent post.

Note - There can be issues running Office 2013 and Office 2016 on the same device. Microsoft itself does not recommend it (and it's not supported on devices with Terminal Services enabled). Having said that, it sounds like you have already avoided the Error: Stop, you should wait to install Office 2016. We’ll have to remove the following if you continue. error.

Hope this helps...

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. Thanks for the info. I have bookmarked the references and will begin to study. So it would seem to be upgrade to 2016 which means learning what's new. I have to learn to save to cloud rather than local? Can I sync cloud to local?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You can choose to save either place. Your choice.
    Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

billacorn (2016-10-29)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSully View Post
    What do I have now that is different and how do I use it/them?
    How will we, who are not in a business, share?
    How do I use one terabyte?
    Geo, it'll be a lot easier than it looks atm. I've had Office 2010 standalone and 2013 via 365 on Win7, and just recently moved to Win10 and Office 2016 via 365. My partner here remains on Win7 and Office 2010 standalone.

We're all still doing everything as we used to, sharing via the usual local network, transferring Office files back and forth. Not using cloud or apps or OneDrive--all 365 is doing for me is providing the latest version of the main Office programs I've used all along.

Office 2010 > 2013 > 2016 progression has been mainly about cloud [2013] and collaboration/sharing [2016], with other generally minor improvements. You should be fine as you get familiar with the minor interface changes.

ETA Microsoft pushes you to link a MS account with your Office, but you don't have to do that if you're not linking or sharing externally.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

billacorn (2016-10-29)

Lounger
    Thanks
    What little I have learned so far after installing 365 is there is a OneDrive folder on my PC hard drive. It was probably there all along but I never noticed it because I never used it, there was not enough free space on the cloud to make it attractive to me. What I put on the OneDrive folder will also go to OneDrive in the cloud which will then be accessible from other devices like my Android.
    I have issues which generally relate to the fact that my C drive is an SSD, not very large, which presents storage problems. I have two folders which I consider major: Documents and Downloads. I backup both of these folders to external drives. In order to eliminate duplication on the C drive, it would seem like I should move everything in both folders to the OneDrive folder and then change my default save settings to folders in OneDrive instead of what I have now.
    I am looking for any suggestions or cautions. It seems like Googling comes up with a lot of Windows 8 & 8.1 suggestions about dealing with OneDrive but I assume Windows 10 would be the same as them.