Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keeping Up To Date With What's Changed

Since Microsoft is now slip-streaming changes into Win10 on a regular basis, it's becoming increasingly difficult to know what's been changed. Of course, there are a number of sites that will point out and discuss certain things. But it's not easy to track them down and many changes may only be found if and when you stumble upon them in practice or in some web post.

There is a web site (changewindows.org) that has a rather extensive list, but it's quite technically oriented and rather difficult to sort through. Does anyone know of a site that makes it easy to know what's being changed every month? I hate this constant game of "Marco Polo" that I find myself playing with Win10.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2016-08-05)

davidhk
    You probably knew about this.
    At the risk of being redundant..............

Windows 10 (RTM) Update history
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/...update-history

Windows Insider build numbers and related info
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...7-bfa5ae673303

4. The Following User Says Thank You to davidhk For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-08-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, I'm more interested in features that change than in bug fixes.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

davidhk
    By the time you receive the Anniversary Updates, I am sure there will be a blog summarizing all new features released in the updates.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The linked article about Windows update history may enumerate new features with the Anniversary update. It was only this past February that Microsoft started publishing this detailed information. There have been no new features generally released since then.

If you are interested in new features released in the Insider Preview builds check the other article or the Windows Experience blog where the releases are announced.
    Joe

Thanks
    Some upcoming changes listed here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...nd-suggestions

Some bad news for 'ordinary' W10 Pro users with the new Anniversary Update.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The linked article about Windows update history may enumerate new features with the Anniversary update. It was only this past February that Microsoft started publishing this detailed information. There have been no new features generally released since then.

If you are interested in new features released in the Insider Preview builds check the other article or the Windows Experience blog where the releases are announced.
    None of these sources have what I would call detailed information about changes. There are no lists of commands and options for each app. There are no complete lists of changes, just a bunch of generalities and gee wiz marketing speak.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogknees View Post
    None of these sources have what I would call detailed information about changes. There are no lists of commands and options for each app. There are no complete lists of changes, just a bunch of generalities and gee wiz marketing speak.
    That is the extent of what you get now. You may find more information if you chase down all the KB articles. What do you mean by "complete list of changes"?

These days when new apps are introduced it is essentially up to you to figure out how to use the app. Some time ago companies figured out that most users don't read manuals or use built-in help. So, there is much less provided.
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is the extent of what you get now. You may find more information if you chase down all the KB articles. What do you mean by "complete list of changes"?

These days when new apps are introduced it is essentially up to you to figure out how to use the app. Some time ago companies figured out that most users don't read manuals or use built-in help. So, there is much less provided.
    While that might work for an app, it doesn't really cut it for an OS where we want to know what is possible. For example, it's possible to edit the All Apps menu to suit yourself, but there's no information from MS about how. Even better the MS robots all say it can't be done. It's also possible to create shortcuts to almost anything and put them on Start or Desktop or .....

I just want to know what it possible so I can make use of anything that might improve my experience. (I don't believe I just used that word!!)

Gordon

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you want more information on changes to Win10 you have to read the Windows Experience blog. That is where new Insider Preview builds are introduced. There is usually a list a features and fixes. It still does not go into options, settings, and commands.

For more information about Win10, see Windows 10 Field Guide and Windows 10 Inside Out. You might also try searching very specific terms in MSDN or TechNet.

You just aren't going to easily get the level of detail you seem to want.
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want more information on changes to Win10 you have to read the Windows Experience blog. That is where new Insider Preview builds are introduced. There is usually a list a features and fixes. It still does not go into options, settings, and commands.

For more information about Win10, see Windows 10 Field Guide and Windows 10 Inside Out. You might also try searching very specific terms in MSDN or TechNet.

You just aren't going to easily get the level of detail you seem to want.
    I'm coming to realise that!!

I just don't see how it benefits MS when people can't use their systems. Unless, of course, they can then claim no one uses a feature so it can be removed. Hang on, they just did that didn't they.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogknees View Post
    I'm coming to realise that!!

I just don't see how it benefits MS when people can't use their systems. Unless, of course, they can then claim no one uses a feature so it can be removed. Hang on, they just did that didn't they.
    Most people use their systems to complete tasks - create documents, develop programs, calculate expenses, whatever. I would think these are the majority. At the moment, I count myself among them. I couldn't really care less about the OS features, unless it directly affects my work. I have done fine without Windows 10 and upgraded just in the last 2 or 3 weeks. My work proceeded normally without Windows 10 and now proceeds normally with Windows 10. I just hope that the stupid lack of control over updates does not make me lose time.

For the others, and considering MS is now frequently changing the goal posts, reading the blog mentioned by Joe seems a small price to pay. An alternative would be to wait a bit and allow some time for authors such as Paul Thurrott or Ed Bott to come up with books that give a more detailed overview. It seems clear, though, that even these books will forever chase a moving target.

I feel, however, that what is happening with the OS is similar to what happens with dev technologies - the goal posts move so fast, that they may no longer be there when the ball reaches the place where they used to be - to use a soccer analogy. That's just how things are.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    @ruirib: Yes, things have been moving so fast that most of the "help" links in Windows 10 (and even Windows 8/8.1) go nowhere (and in the few cases that they do go anywhere, the info provided is virtually useless unless you delve very deep on TechNet sites; but those sites often do not address basic "how tos" ). Without exception, over the years, I have received more useful assistance/guidance here in the Lounge than I have ever been able to get from MS ...(even though I purchased the books "Windows 8.1 Inside Out" and the "Word 2013 Bible 4th edition; and others at considerable expense!!)
    Last edited by petesmst; 2016-08-02 at 09:00. Reason: corrected typos
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    @ruirib: Yes, things have been moving so fast that most of the "help" links in Windows 10 (and even Windows 8/8.1) go nowhere (and in the few cases that they do go anywhere, the info provided is virtually useless unless you delve very deep on TechNet sites; but those sites often do not address basic "how tos" ). Without exception, over the years, I have received more useful assistance/guidance here in the Lounge than I have ever been able to get from MS ...(even though I purchased the books "Windows 8.1 Inside Out" and the "Word 2013 Bible 4th edition; and others at considerable expense!!)
    I guess that will be the new reality. The advice of those who tinker more with the OS will be needed, as will the advice given in specialty blogs and support forums. And yes, Google and Bing will be more relevant, as well - shall I add Cortana here, too ?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I guess that will be the new reality. The advice of those who tinker more with the OS will be needed, as will the advice given in specialty blogs and support forums. And yes, Google and Bing will be more relevant, as well - shall I add Cortana here, too ?
    Cortana....How do I use Cortana?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast