Lounger
    Thanks

amateur composer needs help with volume multi-file output

I am an amateur composer of modern light classical music , I am looking for a program that can control volume during a recording , I will export the parts of my music to separate files ex winds, horns ,strings and percussion as .wav Then I want to play the music highlight sections of a file and change the volume of selected sections . When I'm satisfied export all the music in sync as wav. and that's it I tried audacity but it makes volume control very complex for nothing I want simple ex select a part of file click reduce volume 15% for example . Does anyone have any ideas of cheap or free programs that will do this?

Bob Forrest

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bob,
    Could you clarify a few aspects of your process.

1. How are you generating the track for a given instrument? Are you physically playing it and recording this using Audacity or other software? Or are you using software to write out the music for the track, select the instrument, and generate the audio file for the track?

2. Why is each track being exported to a separate file, rather than being consolidated into a single Audacity file that still keeps the tracks separate?

3. In what way do you find volume control in Audacity complex? In the (older) version I have, it entails selecting a passage, clicking on "Effect" in the top menu, clicking on "Amplify" in the dropdown menu, setting the desired volume change in decibels, optionally playing a sample of the result-to-be, and applying the change.

Dave

Lounger
    Thanks

amateur composer needs help

I compose my music on Finale print music and use garritan personal orchestra as a plug in for the sound . With this program it splits the music score into separate instruments and you compose on this empty score . You can play back all together or separate instruments as your composing . When finished you can export all as one file to wav or separately or as a group as I do as wav. I then import as wav in audacity I tried amplify, gain envelope etc but using dc change gave drastic results I want minor volume change . I'm almost 70 and pretty good with computers but want to concentrate on composing not being a daw expert . I felt audicity could have made volume change more simple. I use seperate groups to correct volume after trying my best in the program musically ppppp to fffff etc

Thanks Bob

Quote Originally Posted by DavidHLevin View Post
    Hi Bob,
    Could you clarify a few aspects of your process.

1. How are you generating the track for a given instrument? Are you physically playing it and recording this using Audacity or other software? Or are you using software to write out the music for the track, select the instrument, and generate the audio file for the track?

2. Why is each track being exported to a separate file, rather than being consolidated into a single Audacity file that still keeps the tracks separate?

3. In what way do you find volume control in Audacity complex? In the (older) version I have, it entails selecting a passage, clicking on "Effect" in the top menu, clicking on "Amplify" in the dropdown menu, setting the desired volume change in decibels, optionally playing a sample of the result-to-be, and applying the change.

Dave

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bob,
    When I bring up Amplify in Audacity, I usually mouse-select the decibel value and enter a different one, sometimes consisting only of a decimal part. What happens when you try this?

Dave