iNET Interactive
    Thanks

The free Win10 upgrade ends for almost everyone

Field Notes

The free Win10 upgrade ends for almost everyone

By Tracey Capen

There were rumors and possibly more than a few bets that Microsoft would extend its free Windows 10-upgrade offer. But the company stood firm on its July 29 deadline for all but a few Windows users.

Also: AV-Comparatives posts its latest yearly report on the effectiveness of anti-phishing software.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/field-notes/the-free-win10-upgrade-ends-for-almost-everyone/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure whether the Windows tech guy was correct or not, but I was told that if the upgrade had been downloaded or attempted to be downloaded, that would be recognized and a later installation allowed.

(Background: I wasn't able to install Windows 10 because it hung on "Starting Download." Nor would it work via the Media Center route, which hung at 99% complete. After being on hold for 2 1/2 hours on Friday, I finally got hold a tech, who was able to handle the installation. In the process, he stopped my antivirus program which, in hindsight, may have been the problem all along.)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need to have correctly installed and activated W10 for the upgrade to have been recognised.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Good thing I made him do the install on Friday! And a bad thing when tech support gives you wrong info.

Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks
    Definitely a contradiction to what the tech guy told me. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it. Not going to, but I wonder if my case number could be used by MS to identify the guy who (very nicely) helped me.

It also makes me wonder, btw, what happens to the poor soul who has to do a complete reinstall using his original Win 7 or 8 disks. (I'm going to make an image right away.)

Thanks

Post Regarding Phishing attempts (covered in the same article as Win10 upgrades)

When I get an email with a suspicious link in it I copy the link and open it in a virtual machine running Linux. I figure that will block any malicious downloads. If it fries my Linux instance (which has not happened yet), I can just restore the VM from a prior backup.
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com