5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Anniversary Update Changes the way Update Works?

Prior to the anniversary update (which is more like an upgrade), I had updates on a Win10 Pro computer set to notify only. There is no options in settings to do this but there is way to do it through group policy. With that setting, the update advanced settings screen showed that "Some settings are managed by your organization" and below "Choose how updates are installed" it read, "Notify to download"

Well, after the update that's all gone. It now says on the first page that "Available updates will be installed automatically..." WTF? After all the complaints about having updates crammed down our throats, they take away from us the one option we had for some control over when we get updates?

I have not seen this discussed in any of the advance notices of feature changes.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-08-02 at 21:11.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can defer feature updates still, i.e only get security updates automatically.
    See Advanced Options under Update Options.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    You can defer feature updates still, i.e only get security updates automatically.
    See Advanced Options under Update Options.
    Yes, but the whole point of Notify Only is to give me (the user) some control over when updates are done. I use my computer for business and don't want it updating whenever it darn well pleases.

At the end of the month, I do a complete image and then update everything that want's to be updated. That gives me a way of quickly reverting if something goes wrong. If that option is taken away from me, it puts me at risk of losing valuable work time while I try and sort out and fix whatever goes wrong.

And, BTW, I did an image before this upgrade and quickly reverted to it once I saw the change to updates. However, even with defer upgrades checked, it now tells me that the Anniversary update is pending download and there doesn't seem to be a way of telling it not to do that upgrade.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Yes, but the whole point of Notify Only is to give me (the user) some control over when updates are done. I use my computer for business and don't want it updating whenever it darn well pleases.

[/U].
    I was trying to help, don't shoot the messenger.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    From what I've read elsewhere the group policy setting may still work. It is the "Settings" UI that does not change. See Win 10 Anniversary, automatic updates & Group Policy Settings.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was hoping that might be the case, but I'm going to let the truth come out before I try again. But it seems odd that the UI would have changed for no reason.

The group policy setting is something of an enterprise feature needed to control updates in a business environment. In the past Windows Pro was deal with as something more geared to Professionals (hence the name) and always contained options to give business users more control, and MS charged more for that (because they could) even though the underlying code was the same for Pro and Home and the only difference was that some controls weren't available in the Home version. But the difference between Pro and Home seems to be gradually diminishing.

P.S. I was able to get rid of the notice that the upgrade was ready for download, but I had to wipe out my whole update history to do it. I'll take the time this weekend to see if I can isolate the piece that had the pending upgrade and put the rest back.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Administrator
    Thanks
    The Pro versions of Windows have always been a superset of Home. See Whats the difference between Windows 10 Home and Pro? and Difference Between Windows 10 Home And Pro for details.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The Pro versions of Windows have always been a superset of Home.
    I know. But I'm wondering out loud if the differences are starting to diminish.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    The data contained in the links in #7 is likely to be outdated: http://winaero.com/blog/microsoft-lo...ersary-update/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    The data contained in the links in #7 is likely to be outdated:
    Sorry, you lost me. What is the #7 you refer to? There are only three things discussed and they aren't numbered.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Post #7 here.

From what I saw, the details are outdated, AU is different.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The links in post #7 show feature differences between the editions at a high level not group policy settings. The winaero post linked to in post #9 talks about the group policy changes. I do not believe that the comparisons shown in the post #7 linked articles are outdated.
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The comment in the Winaero blog that "Pro edition users have lesser options available compared to edition 1511..." is what I was inferring when I said that Pro is becoming more like Home. That is, the ability to control certain aspects of the OS seem to be diminishing. Perhaps, in a few years, there will only be Personal and Business versions with the latter limited to volume licensing.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware