New Lounger
    Thanks

Win10 C: drive suddenly full

I installed Win10 (painfully) a week ago today. Problems have been minor until today. Suddenly my 160 GB C: drive turns up full, where it was only about 2/3 full right after the upgrade. I had to clobber the Win7 backup information to get going again, which means I can no longer return to Win7 (not that I intended to).

In looking at what's using space, "Apps & games" stands out, at 82 GB. I don't intentionally have any games loaded, and my list of apps isn't long. Avast, MS Office, Softmaker Office, Gimpshop and LibreOffice are the big users, running around half a Gig each or less. After that it drops off quickly. There's no way I can account for 82 GB in the "Apps & games" list.

Note that I do not keep data on this machine. It's all on an NAS. And my e-mail (Pegasus) is on an external drive. Outside of applications, it's pretty much just system files and temp files. 160 GB ought to be more than enough.

How do I determine what's using all that extra space, supposedly in "Apps & games"? Has anyone else seen this?

Thank you for any help!

--Jerry Dunham
    Tejas Coonhound Rescue

Lounger
    Thanks
    Some suggestions: empty the recycle bin, delete temporary files and downloads, uninstall the app doesn’t have anything too valuable, or use an external drive, move extra data outside of your computer. Also you can extend c drive with EaseUS Partition Master.

Thanks
    You have presumably run something like TreeSize Free to show which folders are using the space. You can drill down within folders for more detail, which might help with your Apps and Games folder.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

jdunham (2016-08-04)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In previous versions of Windows, it had been found that Volume Shadow Copies had been eating up the space, but not sure it that would be the same for Win 10.

Read through this article for how to use Extended Disk Cleanup in Win 10 which will give you more options to have a clean out.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

satrow (2016-08-03)

Thanks
    +1 for TreeSize Free

It's small and very fast. I keep the portable version on my USB 'utilities' key. After deleting 2 files in German (DE), the 3 remaining files in the TreeSize Free folder are less than 4 MB in total. To get the best use out of it, use Run as administrator.

TreeSizePro.png
    Cick to enlarge

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Full C: appears to be solved

Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    You have presumably run something like TreeSize Free to show which folders are using the space. You can drill down within folders for more detail, which might help with your Apps and Games folder.
    It turns out I have both TreeSize Free and TreePie, but had used neither in so long that I'd forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

I found the culprit with TreePie, and rather quickly. It seems that some time ago, when I was running Win7, I installed Soda PDF, tried it, didn't like it, and removed it, or so I thought. Fast forward to a week ago, and I upgraded to Win10. Somehow that resurrected Soda PDF, and over the intervening week it was doing something bizarre in the background, creating a log file that takes up 76,291,162,112 bytes, and is called soda_001272.htm. I tried looking at it with Firefox, but at that size it crashed Firefox. vim tries to open it and crashes, too.

In any case, I'm off to make another attempt to eliminate Soda PDF. I hope no one else runs into this oddity. Thanks for the suggestion.

--Jerry Dunham
    Tejas Coonhound Rescue

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Soda PDF resisted arrest. It wouldn't uninstall and wouldn't tell me why, just hung for a long time. I figured out that Soda was running two services. I killed them and restarted the uninstall process, which then worked. My previously jammed C: drive now has 100 GB free.

Beware of Soda PDF on Win10.

--Jerry Dunham
    Tejas Coonhound Rescue