Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

"Anniversary Update" installed OK

After seeing the "About Anniversary Update" thread at http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1062721 I decided to check it out.

After some messing around I was able this morning to download the "Anniversary Update" (Version 1607 OS Build 14393.10) to an 8GB USB thumbdrive using the "Media Creation Tool" ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10 ).

After almost one-and-a-half hours and three restarts setup had completed. The Win10 version is now reported by winver as "Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.10)". The previous version was "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.494).

Setup removed "ClassicShell", which doesn't bother me at all as I have gotten to quite like the newer Win10 Start menu w/ it's right-click "power-user" menu; otherwise nothing to get upset about.

As usual setup had set Edge, etc., as Default but that is easily fixed.

Networking is working just the same as in the previous build w/o having to "jump-through-hoops".

But one thing I find rather annoying is that the upgrade has added an extra MBR "Windows RE" partition - that could be a trap for the unwary (my laptop doesn't have UEFI; just the "old-fashioned" BIOS).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    My desktop took about 40 mins to download and install the upgrade. Be aware that it reactivates all the snoopware that comes with W10 and disables System Restore. Skype also made an unwelcome reappearance. My default browser wasn't affected, possibly because its FF and not IE. There are more Windows.old and installation folders taking up gigabytes of space. Other than that, I haven't found any problems so far.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

ruirib (2016-08-03)

Thanks
    Have since installed the AU update on my main Win10 Pro x64 system. All seems fine.

Default programs don't seem to have been reset, and my previous System Restore setting seem to have been kept.

However, Disk Cleanup reports 17GB for "previous Windows installations", so that might be a problem for those who have limited space on their C:\ drive.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    My desktop took about 40 mins to download and install the upgrade. Be aware that it reactivates all the snoopware that comes with W10 and disables System Restore. Skype also made an unwelcome reappearance. My default browser wasn't affected, possibly because its FF and not IE. There are more Windows.old and installation folders taking up gigabytes of space. Other than that, I haven't found any problems so far.
    Thanks for the info on system restore. How such a stupid decision could have been made I don't really understand... but then the stupid decisions about Windows made by Microsoft keep coming at an increasing rate. I guess at some point, if this continues, one needs to consider Windows alternatives - I never thought I would actually write this...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Re System Restore: this was also an issue noticed by some, myself included (though I've bumped into many that didn't have this issue), in the previous versions.

I've since wondered whether it's just a timing factor, SR would need to be disabled and a reboot happen to clear any Restore points from a previous Windows version, it's possible that, at some stage relatively soon after the update/upgrade, there would be a built-in trigger to restore it, perhaps a Windows Update, Scheduled Task or the nth system restart?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    ...I guess at some point, if this continues, one needs to consider Windows alternatives - I never thought I would actually write this...
    Whoa rui.

Righto, so there have been some problems during the development of Win10. Has anything really changed there?

No, there were problems with the initial release of WinXP, again w/ Vista, again w/ Win7, again w/ Win8. So what if there are some problems w/ the initial release of Win10?

Wish you luck if you decide to go to Linux or some other low-percentage OS, but the fact remains that Windows remains the dominant OS by far and that is not likely to change anytime soon regardless of temporary stupid decisions by the developers.

I upgraded from Win7 Pro x64 to Win10 Pro x64 about ten days ago. Before I upgraded I imaged the Win7PROx64 partition to a USB HDD just-in-case but have not had any problems w/ Win10 (Version 1511 OS Build 10586.494), so I think I will stick w/ Win10 as it does seem to have many improvements.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Be aware that it reactivates all the snoopware that comes with W10 and disables System Restore. Skype also made an unwelcome reappearance. My default browser wasn't affected, possibly because its FF and not IE. There are more Windows.old and installation folders taking up gigabytes of space. Other than that, I haven't found any problems so far.
    I started another thread on this, but I'm concerned that there may be several settings reset. I found that my Updates settings had all reverted to the defaults and that a group policy setting that allowed Updates to be set as "notify only" would no longer work.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Whoa rui.

Righto, so there have been some problems during the development of Win10. Has anything really changed there?

No, there were problems with the initial release of WinXP, again w/ Vista, again w/ Win7, again w/ Win8. So what if there are some problems w/ the initial release of Win10?

Wish you luck if you decide to go to Linux or some other low-percentage OS, but the fact remains that Windows remains the dominant OS by far and that is not likely to change anytime soon regardless of temporary stupid decisions by the developers.

I upgraded from Win7 Pro x64 to Win10 Pro x64 about ten days ago. Before I upgraded I imaged the Win7PROx64 partition to a USB HDD just-in-case but have not had any problems w/ Win10 (Version 1511 OS Build 10586.494), so I think I will stick w/ Win10 as it does seem to have many improvements.
    This is not just about problems with initial releases, it seems. This is the anniversary update and we are going back in some respects.

I usually am an early adopter. Not with Windows 10. There are several issues that are most relevant to me, the foremost being the updates. I want complete control over the update process and I don't trust Microsoft over it. Granted, they have a huge task, with such a huge installed base, but they are behaving in a much more imposing manner and the more imposing, the less acceptable, to me.

The upgrades situation was already bad and now it seems slightly worse. Now there is the threat of ads and not even the Pro version seems to be free of it. Really, it is becoming simple untenable. It's not just the specific behavior, it's the complete arrogance of it all and the complete lack of respect for the users.

Windows is the ruling OS ... for the desktop and laptops. No longer so for tablets and it is irrelevant in mobile. I am one of the few that actually uses a Windows Mobile phone. Yeah! If this ticks me off, I imagine how it will be received by someone less invested in the MS stack... Maybe I will just need to jump to the Apple bandwagon and run Parallels. It is quite a common configuration with devs... I am still not ready for it, of course, but for the first time I am actually thinking this could be a possibility. How we have reached this, I really don't know. Maybe I am just tired of the constant disappointment coming from Redmond - early Windows Phone 7 adopter, dumped; Windows Phone 8.x will soon be dumped too (Skype will only support 10); let's not even talk about the completely useless Windows cloud client they came up with, that actually requires me to use a third party app to use my 1 TB storage quota for backup...

Too much annoyance coming from MS in the last few years and my patience is just wearing thin.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Re System Restore: this was also an issue noticed by some, myself included (though I've bumped into many that didn't have this issue), in the previous versions.

I've since wondered whether it's just a timing factor, SR would need to be disabled and a reboot happen to clear any Restore points from a previous Windows version, it's possible that, at some stage relatively soon after the update/upgrade, there would be a built-in trigger to restore it, perhaps a Windows Update, Scheduled Task or the nth system restart?
    There is no reason to disable this. They could simply delete whatever needed deletion and not change settings such as restore points, which are one of the most effective ways to solve problems, even some of them coming from MS itself.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I was under the impression that to remove all SR points, SR needed to be turned off and rebooted.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    I was under the impression that to remove all SR points, SR needed to be turned off and rebooted.
    They reboot Windows an inordinate amount of times during the upgrade process. One more wouldn't make a difference.

Plus I can confirm that at least after the first full reboot after the upgrade is performed, things do not change.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Too much annoyance coming from MS in the last few years and my patience is just wearing thin.
    I know full well that you have been an advocate for MS for a long time. We debated the relative merits of Office in depth last year and you had very solid views. So, coming from you, this indicates how serious this situation is becoming.

MS seems hell-bent on driving everyone into SaaS and taking full control over the updates and feature in both Office and Windows is a key element in that. As a software developer myself, I fully understand. Support becomes so much easier when you are sure that all users are running an (essentially) identical version of the software.

There hasn't been time enough to determine if what I saw change in Updates was really what happened or if it was merely a change in what was displayed on the screen. But as there was apparently no advanced notice of this (and I find it hard to believe that something would not have hit this forum), I'm skeptical that MS is going to not push me into a corner on something really serious in the future.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I know full well that you have been an advocate for MS for a long time. We debated the relative merits of Office in depth last year and you had very solid views. So, coming from you, this indicates how serious this situation is becoming.

MS seems hell-bent on driving everyone into SaaS and taking full control over the updates and feature in both Office and Windows is a key element in that. As a software developer myself, I fully understand. Support becomes so much easier when you are sure that all users are running an (essentially) identical version of the software.

There hasn't been time enough to determine if what I saw change in Updates was really what happened or if it was merely a change in what was displayed on the screen. But as there was apparently no advanced notice of this (and I find it hard to believe that something would not have hit this forum), I'm skeptical that MS is going to not push me into a corner on something really serious in the future.
    I am a developer fully invested in Microsoft's stack. Back in college, I started with Unix, of course, developing in HP and DEC workstations. My MSc software was fully developed on a DECstation running Ultrix and the graphical stack was X Windows. After the MSc I went full Microsoft and haven't turned back. I think MS has some great dev stuff and the path they are following with .Net has been great (open source, multi-platform).

I just can't stand giving them control over my OS. I don't trust them to behave properly in terms of updates. I don't want to boot one day with my dev environment wrecked up by some unwanted upgraded.

I paid for my laptop in full and it included an upgrade to a Windows 10 license. I owe MS nothing. Ads have no role in my laptop... and we could go on and on and on. If this is what they wanted to do, I would rather pay for the damn upgrade.

Yeah, I am very annoyed about all of this.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't want to boot one day with my dev environment wrecked up by some unwanted upgraded.
    That happened to me with Win7. Some Windows DLL got changed in an update and a function I use in the software I develop in broke as a result. It's not something I use that often so I failed to note when it broke and there is a work-around, so it's not the end of the world.

The fellow who is the primary author of the software I develop with has both a Win7 and a Win10 development platform. He tests in parallel in both to be sure that what he's doing will work on both platforms. What he found early this year is that there is some difference in Visual Studio between Win7 and Win10 and certain code works slightly differently (again it seems to be differences in DLL's). It forced him to rewrite a fairly large chunk of code to make sure that the end product behaves the same regardless of platform.

If I were a casual user, this wouldn't be such a problem, but I'm not. I work part-time for a multi-national and they have so far refused to go to Win10 and updates/upgrades are a part of the issue.

BTW, stray thought... It's August and the cicada's have started singing. I wish that Microsoft were as reliable as the cicada's are.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

The AU on my main desktop went just fine. Of course that is not to say it didn't fiddle with stuff I had set.

I'm sure glad I learned my lesson with the Insider Program and put as many of my tweaks as possible into a PowerShell program that makes it a one-click fix.

Things the AU changed that I've discovered so far:
    • Removed Move to Folder and Copy to Folder from the FE right-click menu.
    • Removed my Open with ISE context menu when right-clicking a .ps1 file. Don't really need this as the Edit option does the same thing but it was a learning exercise and I still don't think MS should have killed it!
    • Re-enabled HomeGroup services (2), I had them both set to Disabled.
    • Killed the fix to have Notepad++ replace Notpad. (unfortunately this wasn't in my PS program)

Strangely enough, the AU didn't modify the change I had made to the Send-To menu...go figure.

It's become clear to me that if you tweak you better have a way to quickly recreate those tweaks...Let's hear it for PowerShell!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

PhilI (2016-08-04)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast