Lounger
    Thanks

Designing a database (Access 2002)

Request assistance in getting off on the right foot in developing a database. I am looking to create a database which will allow tracking and scheduling of a one-day event involving anywhere from 100 to 500 girls. Each girl will select five professions from a list with the fifth choice being an alternate. Examples would be 001 (Mechanical Engineer) and 002 (Graphics Designer). The girl

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Designing a database (Access 2002)

I'll get you started. You should have a table that contains a record for each Girl (name, address, etc.). You also need a table that lists all the Professions. A third table (let's call it GirlProfessions), contains each profession that each girl selected. The record layout for this table would be Girl#, Selection#, Profession; so each girl would have up to 5 records.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark. I'm looking at using the following tables: tblEYHGirls, tblSchool, tblSchoolContact, tblBusiness, tblPresenter, tblCategory, tblProfession, tblProfessionalOrg, tblSeminar, tblAssignments, tblAssignmentsLate. TblEYHGirls will probably contain fields Num(Primary Key), Date, LastName, FirstName, MI, School, Grade, Age, StreetAddress, POB, City, Zip, Phone, AltPhone, ParentName1, ParentName2, Choice1, Choice2, Choice3, Choice4, Choice5, SpecialNeeds (memo), and Paid. Based on my experience level, I figure I'll create a report tallying up the totals for the choices and then determine by hand how many seminars are needed. From there, I don't know the best way to take the names and based on their choices line them up in seminars by time slots. My biggest fear is having data entered one way in a database and finding out that it needed to be something else to make the query work. Hope this explains my question a bit more.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You wrote:
    >>TblEYHGirls will probably contain fields
    Num(Primary Key), Date, LastName, FirstName, MI, School, Grade, Age, StreetAddress, POB, City,
    Zip, Phone, AltPhone, ParentName1, ParentName2, Choice1, Choice2, Choice3, Choice4, Choice5<<

This is probably a bad design because of the Choice fields. This is definitely non-normalized. As I mentioned in my first post, you should have a separate table for Choices, such that there is one record per girl per choice. The field names would be GirlNo, ChoiceNo, Choice.
    Mark Liquorman

Lounger
    Thanks

Ok Mark, now I understand. Thankfully, the registrations won't be available until April and the event won't run until June.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You can make the GirlChoices table more useful by adding a Session Date(start date, semester date, or whatever), like this: GirlNo, SessionStart, ChoiceNo, Choice. So, now each girl can have up to 5 choices for each Session (and if you allow up to 6 choices, this means just another record, not adding a field to a table!).
    Mark Liquorman

Lounger
    Thanks

It will end up being a start time, since all sessions will occur on the same day. I do appreciate your time and advice. The nearest Access users I am aware of are 20 miles away and the nearest advanced Access classes are 50 miles away.