Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    davidhk

Issue about signing in to this forum

Why do I consistently getting this message each time I tried to login ?

Each time I had to manually type in my username and password.
    It is getting very annoying.

invalid username and password.jpg

Before you ask, I am not a newbie. I have been participating in forums for over 10 years. I don't make mistake signing in.

Thanks
    When I enter "Coochin" and my password to sign in to WSL I get "User nameCoochin" in the username field. I have to click just to the left of "Coochin" then use the BackSpace key to remove the "User name" part before pressing Enter to log in.

If I just press Enter with "User nameCoochin" in the username field I get the same as in your screenshot and have to enter my login details over again.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

davidhk
    Not the same scenario.

In my case, it shows the right username. Password is in dots, so I don't know if it is correct or not.
    But if I use them to login, I get kicked out to the screenshot I posted.

Furthermore, after I manually entered my username and my password, I checked the box " Remember me".
    Like heck it does.

I get in after that, but next time, the same thing repeats itself.

Thanks
    Do you logout after each session here? What are your cookie settings? Browser?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Do you logout after each session here? What are your cookie settings? Browser?
    Yes, I log out after each session. Cookie settings are default. I use IE11 most of the time but the same happens in FireFox (both are fully updated).

The "User nameCoochin" behaviour I described in my #2 post started suddenly about six months ago. The URL I use is: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/login.php?do=login
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Why do I consistently getting this message each time I tried to login ?

Each time I had to manually type in my username and password.
    It is getting very annoying.

invalid username and password.jpg

Before you ask, I am not a newbie. I have been participating in forums for over 10 years. I don't make mistake signing in.
    I use Chrome and the only time I have ever gotten that window is if I used the wrong password. Are you sure you're putting in the right one???

davidhk
    I use IE11 as my default.

I just finished clearing my browser cache. I also have Delete Browser history upon exit enabled.

Makes no difference. Same bloody message.

davidhk
    And I switched to Edge to access this forum.
    Same message.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    You are obviously logged in else you could no post. How are you getting logged in?
    Joe

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You are obviously logged in else you could no post. How are you getting logged in?
    By filling the form shown in screenshot, post #1.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    By filling the form shown in screenshot, post #1.
    Have you tried to do the same with the original form? I can't see why you'd insist in doing something that obviously does not work.

It would seem to me that your login details are fine, since you are able to login with the 2nd form. You yourself stated that you don't know if the password automatically added to the first form is correct, so I really don't understand why you keep trying it without trying to correct the password.

Browser cache and browser history have zero influence on stored login details. Those are kept apart. No amount of cleaning either will help.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Have you tried to do the same with the original form? I can't see why you'd insist in doing something that obviously does not work.

It would seem to me that your login details are fine, since you are able to login with the 2nd form. You yourself stated that you don't know if the password automatically added to the first form is correct, so I really don't understand why you keep trying it without trying to correct the password.

Browser cache and browser history have zero influence on stored login details. Those are kept apart. No amount of cleaning either will help.
    I kept trying it because after I manually entered my username and password, and then clicked the "Remember me" box, I expect it will remember. But it does not. Instead it kicked me out to the form shown in post #1.

Right now, at the sign in section at top right (the original form), I manually entered my username and password, and checked the "remember me" box. That is how I login each time, but I shouldn't have to do that. The system is supposed to remember my credential.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I kept trying it because after I manually entered my username and password, and then clicked the "Remember me" box, I expect it will remember. But it does not. Instead it kicked me out to the form shown in post #1.

Right now, at the sign in section at top right (the original form), I manually entered my username and password, and checked the "remember me" box. That is how I login each time, but I shouldn't have to do that. The system is supposed to remember my credential.
    The remember me box doesn't have an effect on different forms. All it should do is to create a cookie, that should allow you to keep logged in even after closing and re-opening your browser. So, filling in the correct details on the second form would never fix anything on the first form. It would simply avoid the need to enter details on the first form, by logging you in automatically.

About the remember me not working, I would check the effects of such option with a decent browser (by that I mean Chrome or Firefox). If it works, then you will know the problem is with IE / Edge. If it does not work, I would suggest that you try deleting all your cookies and then try again. Doing this will make it necessary to login again to any other sites where you currently are automatically logged in once you visit.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

davidhk
    OK. Chrome works as it should. My username and password are remembered. No issue logging in.

That does not help.
    I want to use IE.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I understand, but as I suspected, IE is the culprit. Does deleting cookies help?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast