New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 as a home server

I saw Woody Leonhard's article in issue 355, recommending Windows 8 as a home server because it offered Storage Spaces. I implemented his suggestion, and was very happy with it. However, it had one irritating feature. I had a 250 GB drive for C:, and three 1TB drives for D: to provide the Storage Space. However, the Windows 8 installation, as well as using the 250 GB drive for C:, put a "reserved" partition on one of the 1TB drives, and I found that the remainder of that drive could not be included in the Storage Space.

To avoid this when I moved to Windows 10, I copied all the Storage Space data onto other systems, and removed the 1TB drives from the server. I then installed Windows 10 on the 250MB drive, with no other drive on the server. This installed fine, and ran as expected with its single HDD. Then I reinstalled the 1TB drives, and tried to restart. No luck - nothing I tried would get Windows to boot, including trying Repair with the install DVD. Finally I gave up, and reinstalled with all four drives in place. Now it runs happily, but with a 128MB partition blocking one of my 1TB drives !

Can anyone suggest a work-around ?

John French

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you re-format the 1 TB drives after removing all the data?
    Are the 1TB drives USB or SATA?
    Did you try re-installing one drive at a time?
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently installed my 1st storages spaces in Win 10 Pro. I started with 2 unformatted 4TB drives and formatted them ResFS. I lost no space. Joe is probably on the right track. Derik bootandnuke 'em and retry completely cleaned out.

Thanks
    Another thing to check is the order of the disks in the BIOS. I'm sure you'll find that the disk with the small partition has a higher priority than your 250GB drive..

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the various suggestions. The drives are SATA; the "server" is a Lenovo ThinkServer, which supports 4 SATA drives mounted on rails. You are probably right that the 250GB drive is not seen as the first. I don't find their order identified in the BIOS, but Windows Disk management calls the 250GB Drive 2, and two of the 1TB drives 0 and 1, 0 being the drive with the reserved partition. I located the 250GB in the top slot, hoping that would give it priority, but unsuccessfully.

I didn't re-format, or install one at a time. Next rainy day I'll reinstall on the single disk, reformat the others, and try adding one drive at a time. (Maybe hot plugging, I think the system supports that - or is that too risky?) And is there a reason for ResFS ? I expected Windows to look for NTFS.

Thanks again. John

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cjfrench View Post
    Thanks for the various suggestions. The drives are SATA; the "server" is a Lenovo ThinkServer, which supports 4 SATA drives mounted on rails. You are probably right that the 250GB drive is not seen as the first. I don't find their order identified in the BIOS, but Windows Disk management calls the 250GB Drive 2, and two of the 1TB drives 0 and 1, 0 being the drive with the reserved partition. I located the 250GB in the top slot, hoping that would give it priority, but unsuccessfully.

I didn't re-format, or install one at a time. Next rainy day I'll reinstall on the single disk, reformat the others, and try adding one drive at a time. (Maybe hot plugging, I think the system supports that - or is that too risky?) And is there a reason for ResFS ? I expected Windows to look for NTFS.

Thanks again. John
    ResFS is a server friendly files system from MS and can be used with Storage Spaces. As for drive 0, it is determined by hardware. Sata ports are numbered beginning with 0. The ports are usually labeled on the motherboard.

I have a DIY Windows 10 Pro server, but I'm using RAID 10, not Storage Spaces, and my OS SSD is mSATA, which plugs directly into the motherboard in Port 6. But since I'm using the built-in Intel RAID in the motherboard, Windows sees the RAID array as a single drive 0 and the SSD as drive 1.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions, all of which made sense to me. Unfortunately, having tried everything I can think of, I'm beaten !

The order of the drives is difficult, because the ThinkServer mounts its HDD's on rails, which push connect, and the wiring from the motherboard is buried. So I tried the 250GB drive, with W10 installed, in each of the slots; it worked happily by itself, but installing any of the 1TB drives in any other slot produced the message "1926 No Operating System Installed" when I tried to boot. And I tried unallocated, NTFS and ResFS drives, one at a time or alltogether.

So I have gone back to accepting a 500MB reserved partition on one big drive. I can still use 999.5GB for storage of less critical items. and have the other two big drives for my Storage Space - and I can expand those to 2 or 4TB each as needed. Thanks again

John