Thread: Backing-up

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Backing-up

Just had my new CD-RW installed and would like to do a back-up. A couple of questions:
    1) Any recommendations about which back-up software to use for CD's
    2) Is it best to back-up to CD-R or CD-RW?

Sorry if there are obvious answers, but I'd like to
    cultivate best practice. Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Backing-up

What operating system?
    Single PC or network?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 98
    Single user

But am thinking about introducing a dual boot system, having the second system, Windows XP, on hard drive D. Will this complicate things?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I have a dual boot Win 98/Win 2000 system.

I ONLY backup while running Win 2000.
    All files are backed up, so that takes care of both Win 98 and Win 2000.

I rarely use Win 98.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Not really. Once you've introduced your new OS, whatever back-up method you choose will also take care of the new partition if you want it to. I would recommend XP for the backing up when you have it. You can also set system Restore Points for a quick fix if things go wrong.
    CDR v CD-RW : the former are more universally readable, but not re-usbale. How many backups do you envisage doing? If daily, you will end up with a lot of CDs, many of which will be redundant. CD-RWs are more expensive (but still fairly reasonable) and if you back up on a daily cycle over a working week, you'd only need 5 or so. My experience is that they are not as stable as CDRs and not as universally readable. Nevertheless, they are what I use - and on XP they behave just like a large, fast, floppy.
    On-line storage (uploading your whole system) is also a viable option. It does not consume usable media, but you have to rent the space on someone else's server, and unless you have a broad-band connection, it can be tedious.
    I might also suggest a removable hard drive (in a caddy - not the Zip etc method). This has the added advantages that it is even faster, and easily plugs into any other system which has adopted this method. It's not expensive and is a good way to utilise a hard-drive you may have upgraded. You might also want to look into hot-swappable solutions of this type, such as USB drives.
    Finally, the method you choose will very much depend on the sort of uses you put, or intend to put, your machine(s) to. It is obviously more important for a small business to have an appropriate backup scheme than for a home user (unless your data is worth money!). A busness really ought to seek professional advice in this - amongst other things, cost effectiveness needs to be considered.

Rgds

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HK & MerC,

Many thanks for that. It's all looking clearer now. A final question: any preferences for back-up software?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

No need to use 3rd party stuff. I find XP performs as well as anything else - and it's built in.

Rgds