New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 Anniversary Update Trouble

Because I have a support business I wanted to do the update before I had to help others in case of trouble. So glad (now) that I did. My fast ring test machine was chugging along with no problems so after complete backup I did my main machine. It downloaded and began install normally then midway through threw an error 0xC1900200. Went on line to check error. Only results were for updating win7 or 8.1 not updating win10 installs. It siad requirements had changed. OK what did I need. My machine has 32gb memory, MDDM 2.0, i7-4770K running at 3.5GHz. Easily met all requirements. Tried again. Same failure. Downloaded ISO and made USB install drive. Tried to install from there. That was when the real fun started. Again instant failure. This time reason was because the hidden 100mb system partition did not have enough free space and needed at least 35mb free. HUH? Original Win10 install took 97.5mb! If my original install of Win10 Pro is normal then the update should NEVER work! The fix is to use a partition program to change that partition to 250mb (not trivial for most people). Then install went perfectly. No issues. Runs great. Another fun part of the day was Microsoft chose the day after a major update to take the help forum off line for "planned routine maintenance"!!! Nice work guys. No Microsoft help page listed help updating a Windows 10 system to the latest Anniversary edition. also nice job. Hope my frustrations and solutions help someone else here

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Same issue as I reported here last month:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...partition-quot
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Same issue as I reported here last month:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...partition-quot
    When I looked for others that had similar issues for some reason I never saw your post. It bothers me that the help files were not updated to reflect what was actually occurring with the Anniversary edition as this is not intended to update from 7 or 8.1 but 10 to the latest 10. To have a fairly common issue that requires screwing with partitions where any problem can easily lead to a total reformat (which would of course resolve these issues) is not something in my view that the common computer novice should try to do. The update already takes for most at minimum about 25 minutes and several reboots so not putting in place something in the update to handle these issues which would be common, is thoughtless and would add 5 minutes that would go mostly unnoticed. Failure by design. I hope that a clean install will now create partitions large enough for this to not happen again in the near future

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe that what it is doing is using the recovery partition to store a recovery version of Windows prior to the upgrade. Despite the phrase Anniversary Update, this is really an Upgrade. And from the size of the download, quite a bit of code is being replaced.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The recovery partition is not the same as the system reserved partition which is only 100mb and on all my systems is the first partition on every boot drive I have. It apparently holds the old boot.ini info as well as font info etc. It had little in it on windows 7, more on windows 8.1, and is almost full in windows 10 (only systems I have currently). So problem would only occur going from older windows 10 (build 1511) to new one (build 1607).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    On each of my attempts to manually update are resulting with the laptop getting hung up on something after a restart around the mid 70% - just have a black screen with the busy on it.

I was even getting this with a repair install using the latest updated MCT Win 10 ISO.

Have had to power shutdown then restore with a system image, so I'm not looking forward to if/when it comes naturally.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since the anniversary update can't get start menu to work. Tried a suggest registry change. Did the powershell change (copied line into powershell). Still start menu does not work. On reboot it might work for a few minutes.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wonder if this update could end up being pulled while MS have another look at it.

Didn't this happen with Threshold 2 after problems ?

Thanks
    Woody has a list of 'bugs' reported, plus links, here: The case against Windows 10 Anniversary Update grows Comments on it here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My Toshiba laptop was upgraded a few days ago. Upon rebooting it seemed to be working fine. But, later I shut it off, then back on a few minutes later to recheck my emails. I had no access to the Internet.
    After three days (machine off overnight) I still don't have Internet access on my laptop. I have WiFi access to the other computer on my desk...copying files back and forth, etc. The other computer (Windows 7) has access to the same network and the Internet.

Digging with Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center lists NETGEAR90_2GEXT Private network lists Access Type: No Internet access; HomeGroup: Joined Connections: W-Fi (NETGEAR90_2GEXT).
    The Access Type I am unable to locate any place to change its value (It's black type, the other two are blue).

It could be a Registry code...who knows!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you can connect when wired then you will need to reinstall/update the wireless driver.

I had an intermittent problem with wireless connectivity when I first upgraded to Win 10.