Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ssd

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ssd

WE have a Cyber Power desk top. It has a ssd and WD 1g hard drive. The ssd is set as c: the Wd is d: and is about 5% Full. the C drive (ssd) is very close to full. Win 10 and most other files and programs are on C. We are starting to get over runs in games and other programs. I tried to drag some files to the D drive, Windows did not cooperate. Looked for other solutions they didn't work. I'm sure if I can make room on C, problem solved. Right now the new Win 10 update is probably dead in the HD.
    ltuff
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-08-04 at 16:50.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How big is the SSD?
    Run Treesize Free and it will tell you what is using the space.
    Let us know what you find.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Since one cannot drag and drop any program folders and files, one can uninstall [remove from the C-SSD] some games and reinstall them into D-platter-driven HD. However, when considering the long-term, future, implications and consequence possibilities for backup and restore, you might be better off getting a larger "C-drive" SSD.

One possibility: If installed programs reside on two separate hard-drives, if ever a restore is needed either for just the OS and programs, then both hard-drives, having been backed up, full imaged, together earlier -- have to be restored together, one right after the other before any boot/startup.

Another possibility: If installed programs reside on two separate hard-drives, if ever a restore is needed either for just the Data folders and files, then both hard-drives, having been backed up, full imaged, together earlier -- have to be restored together, one right after the other before any boot/startup; unless, the data folders and files are backed up as folders/files and not via full images.

Another possibility: Having restored both hard-drives one after the other for any reason, having to finally restore the Data folders/files from its separate folder/file backup.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-08-05 at 04:48.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ltuff View Post
    It has a ssd and WD 1g hard drive.
    Is that perhaps a 1T hard drive? If it's only 1G, then it is basically useless these days.

Thanks
    In C:\Users\<UserName>\ most of the folders can be moved off the C: drive using the Location tab in the folder Properties sheet.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unless I am missing something (which is highly likely) this is less a problem of where programs are installed and more a matter of where they store saved files.

Many programs allow you to change where you save data files. If you are using OneDrive to store a lot of data, you can move that to D: You can create documents/music/picture folders on D: and include them in your library. Etc.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just for my interest, how do you run a program on a different drive to your OS ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Just for my interest, how do you run a program on a different drive to your OS ?
    When installing the program, rather than accept the "C:\Program Files\YourProgramName" as the install location, change it to "D:\Program Files\YourProgramName (or whatever drive/partition you wish). It will install and run without any difficulty whatsoever. The OS only needs to know where it is installed - it will put all the proper pointers in the registry for the actual location.

I've been doing this for years starting with Windows 95. It will not interfere with any upgrades either of the program itself or Windows Updates/Upgrades. It is completely transparent to the user once installed.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-08-05),Sudo15 (2016-08-05)

Thanks
    There are a number of ways to get programs off C: drive, the simplest being to uninstall the program then reinstall it where you want it to be. I recommend Revo Uninstaller for the uninstall, because it can also scan the registry for any leftovers and clean them out, so that the reinstall to your preferred location will go smoothly.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks BB - I figured that you would need to change the location as I've seen that choice when installing myself.

It was just that I'd seen on another forum that someone was no longer able to run programs on another drive that I assume from the post, they had been able to previously.

Thanks
    Thanks BB - I figured that you would need to change the location as I've seen that choice when installing myself.

It was just that I'd seen on another forum that someone was no longer able to run programs on another drive that I assume from the post, they had been able to previously.
    I've seen that complaint as well, but it's typically a case of just moving the program's folder without any registry editing to change the pointers.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Without hijacking this thread - how do you mean ?

Thanks
    Without hijacking this thread - how do you mean ?
    I mean such as using File Explorer to move a program folder from one partition/drive to another without editing the registry to reflect the new location. That doesn't work unless the program is self contained, that is to say any files needed for the executable are in the folder that is being moved.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well if you are going to move it, how does that resolve not being able to run it from its original drive which is where you want to run it from.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are applications that can move an installed app from one location to another. I've done it with Office 2010 using CloneApp to move it to a new computer. Not sure you could move it to another drive without getting the registry all messed up in the process though.

But, as I said, applications usually don't occupy that much space. It's the data files that do (pictures, videos, save files, etc) and they can often be moved to another drive by changing a programs Options.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast