New Lounger
    Thanks

How to install new HDD on Win10 notebook

Upgraded Win7 machine to Win10 a week ago, created repair disk and created image. Then HDD sorta died. The machine is running, but there's apparently a bad spot in the drive that prevents me from cloning it, since the clone dies consistently at the same spot. Booting is unreliable, giving a hard disk error about 3 times out of four. Once booted it runs fine.

How do I get this notebook back to the same spot, given that I have:

Notebook (Pavilion DV7) with new HDD of same size as original (500 GB)
    Win10 install DVD
    Win10 repair DVD
    Win10 image on external (USB) drive
    Flaky internal DVD in notebook (writes fine, reads sometimes)

I'm not looking for a clean install. I'd like to get the machine back to where it was when the image was taken. I'm planning to boot from the install disk and hope there's a way to retrieve the image from there, but this, of course, assumes the optical drive is in a good mood today.

Suggestions solicited!

--Jerry Dunham
    Tejas Coonhound Rescue

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you created a bootable medium (USB flash drive perhaps) with the software on it to restore the image you made? For instance, if your image was created using Marcrium Reflect you might boot from a flash drive and restore the image (from your external drive).
    Doing a clone operation doesn't sound safe under these circumstances.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

jdunham (2016-08-05)

Thanks
    Surely the way to go is to boot from the repair DVD and use that to restore the image?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    Have you created a bootable medium (USB flash drive perhaps) with the software on it to restore the image you made? For instance, if your image was created using Marcrium Reflect you might boot from a flash drive and restore the image (from your external drive).
    Doing a clone operation doesn't sound safe under these circumstances.
    I'm about to try creating a bootable USB flash drive. The worry is that it requires a reboot, and I'm not sure the dying HDD will let me get away with it. We'll see shortly.

I'm baffled by the optical drive in this machine. It plays CDs. It plays movie DVDs. It sees any DVD with a file system on it as totally empty, even if it's a bootable Win10 DVD. If I try to boot from a DVD the machine tells me to insert a bootable DVD, even though one's already in there. The combination of a dying HDD and an optical drive that won't read is what makes this so frustrating.

I've been researching booting from an external optical drive, but haven't found much. I suspect the BIOS doesn't support it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Surely the way to go is to boot from the repair DVD and use that to restore the image?
    I have been unable to get the optical drive to recognize a bootable DVD.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does your machine support booting from an USB ?

If the external optical drive is plugged in then the one off boot change should see it to select.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Does your machine support booting from an USB ?

If the external optical drive is plugged in then the one off boot change should see it to select.
    I couldn't get at the BIOS to find out whether it supports booting from USB. Every time I'd select the BIOS option at boot it would jump directly to a hard drive error, which makes no sense.

I think I've got the right thing happening, but it was scary due to the HDD being so flaky that I was afraid to shut it off and due to not being able to get at BIOS. In the end it's turned out to be simple.

I created a recovery disk on a USB flash drive. I was somewhat surprised that the bad HDD allowed that process to complete. Once I had that I replaced the system HDD with a new one and booted. With the corrupt HDD out of the way I was able to get into BIOS and change the boot order. It booted from the USB flash drive, and allowed me to get to advanced options, which includes a restore of the Win10 image I had on an external USB hard drive and which the recovery console found automatically. As I type this it's in the process of putting that image on the new HDD.

I think I have a winner, but probably won't know for another hour.

Thank you for the suggestions!

--Jerry Dunham
    Tejas Coonhound Rescue

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It worked!