2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How does Themida get on my PC

While shutting down my PC last night I received a message from Themida saying that I had a monitor running and needed to shut this down. I searched my computer but found no Themida.
    What is this, what is it doing on my PC and what do I need to do about it?

Thanks
    Themida is a software protection product designed to prevent software from being cracked. It is also frequently used by malware writers to hide their malware, gamekeeper turned poacher if you will. It uses encryption so it is difficult for any anti-virus product to confirm one way or another if its malware. Have you installed any games recently?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I do not install games and I have installed nothing recently.

Thanks
    Download, install, run Piriform's Speccy. Keep your logs, don't post them. You can "publish" the URL to your log later, if anyone here needs to see it. After saving the logs, look through the sections for Services running, programs and utilities installed and running -- you're looking for anything that gives you a "What is this?" vibe.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    "message from Themida saying that I had a monitor running and needed to shut this down" <- possibly a message referring to a RAT (Remote Access Trojan) still being active, it could be that GOTD still uses that wrapper (did you just install something from giveawayofthe day?), probably a number of other possibilities.

It sounds like it was *something* run during that Windows session that hadn't been run/accessed before.