Lounger
    Thanks

W10 DOWNGRADING My Video Drivers!

Damned M$! Just yesterday I manually went to NVIDIA site and downloaded/applied the most current drivers for my graphics card (341.95). Today, this asinine chunk of software (W10) said it had TWO new video drivers it had to install in Windoze Update. The first one installed 341.74 from way back in November, 2015, and the second one installed 341.92 (more current, but still older than 341.95 that I already had installed).

Almost immediately the NVIDIA experience driver watch notified me that I needed to download the most current drivers again!

So how do I stop M$ from removing current drivers after I put them on???
    Last edited by V7Goose; 2016-08-06 at 15:40.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    V.G.,

1. Open File Explorer
    2. Right-Click on Computer in the left pane
    3. Select Properties
    4. In the left panel select Advanced system settings
    5. Select the Hardware tab
    6. Click the Device Installation Settings button

Stop Driver Download.PNG

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

V7Goose (2016-08-09)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well thanx! Looks like the same old options from W7, but I never even thought to look there (and I was just using System properties today to manage my page file too!).

Thanks
    If you need to do this frequently (e.g. if new updates wipe out settings or you need to configure multiple devices) you can use a .REG file:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    ; Include driver updates in Windows Update - Turn OFF
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

; Automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons - Turn OFF
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata]
    "PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork"=dword:00000001
    I've attached a ZIP file that includes this .REG file plus another that reverts the setting back to the default.

Notes:
    As the settings are stored in the 'machine' registry hive (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) rather than 'user' hive (HKEY_CURRENT_USER) you will need to be logged in as a member of the Administrators group to merge each .REG file. Alternatively, use the excellent REG2EXE utility to compile the .REG file then use Run as Administrator.

Hope this helps...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-08-08 at 20:35. Reason: Added additional settings to REG files

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by V7Goose View Post
    Damned M$! Just yesterday I manually went to NVIDIA site and downloaded/applied the most current drivers for my graphics card (341.95). Today, this asinine chunk of software (W10) said it had TWO new video drivers it had to install in Windoze Update. The first one installed 341.74 from way back in November, 2015, and the second one installed 341.92 (more current, but still older than 341.95 that I already had installed).

Almost immediately the NVIDIA experience driver watch notified me that I needed to download the most current drivers again!

So how do I stop M$ from removing current drivers after I put them on???

Have a look at this tutorial :
    How to Enable or Disable Including Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

excerpt :

By default, Windows 10 will automatically download and install drivers in Windows Update when they are available.

Starting with Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328, there's a new policy included that you can use to enable or disable to include drivers with Windows updates. This can be handy if you prefer to download and install your drivers from the device manufacturer instead.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable including driver updates in Windows Update in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable including driver updates in Windows Update.
    .................................................. ...................

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidhk For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2016-08-08),V7Goose (2016-08-09)