Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    davidhk

Have I been wrong from the get-go ?

Brief history:

Laptop A pre-installed with Vista > bought and installed (Retail) Win 8 Pro upgrade version > then 8.1 > then Win 10 Technical Preview > then Win 10 Pro > then Insider Preview > and now 14393.10 Win 10 Pro

My understanding has ...... the Win 8 Pro product key is tied to Win 10 Pro in laptop A

Laptop B pre-installed Win 7 > now Win 10 Home RTM 14393.10.

Now, here is what I did............
    In laptop B, I created a partition and started to install Win 8.1 Pro.
    I was asked immediately for a product key.
    I used the Retail Win 8 Pro upgrade version product key. It was accepted.
    When installation was finished, I found out that It was activated.
    I now have an activated Win 8.1 Pro dual booting with Win 10 Home in laptop B.

So. My understanding was wrong, or Microsoft has changed game rules, or I got lucky and slipped through the crack ?
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-08-06 at 19:58.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Brief history:

Laptop A pre-installed with Vista > bought and installed (Retail) Win 8 Pro upgrade version > then 8.1 > then Win 10 Technical Preview > then Win 10 Pro > then Insider Preview > and now 14393.10 Win 10 Pro

My understanding has ...... the Win 8 Pro product key is tied to Win 10 Pro in laptop A

Laptop B pre-installed Win 7 > now Win 10 Home RTM 14393.10.

Now, here is what I did............
    In laptop B, I created a partition and started to install Win 8.1 Pro.
    I was asked immediately for a product key.
    I used the Retail Win 8 Pro upgrade version product key. It was accepted.
    When installation was finished, I found out that It was activated.
    I now have an activated Win 8.1 Pro dual booting with Win 10 Home in laptop B.

So. My understanding was wrong, or Microsoft has changed game rules, or I got lucky and slipped through the crack ?
    You slipped through a crack. According to the EULA, since your 8.1 Pro is Retail, it is portable; however, upgrading it to 10 supersedes the 8.1 Pro software. 8.1 Pro is no longer licensed, that license has been acquired by Windows 10. Your Windows 10 is portable, since you upgraded over a retail edition of the software.

So, in effect you're running one valid license on two machines, which is contrary to the terms of the software license.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An Insider Preview is an Insider Preview. A preview does not constitute an installation in the same sense that a paid version does; the user is essentially a beta tester, and in my view the dual-boot is entirely valid - in fact I wish I'd thought to try it myself.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    An Insider Preview is an Insider Preview. A preview does not constitute an installation in the same sense that a paid version does; the user is essentially a beta tester, and in my view the dual-boot is entirely valid - in fact I wish I'd thought to try it myself.
    An Insider Preview installation is only good while enrollment in Insider Preview is maintained. Even if you do not plan to leave at any time, any decision by Microsoft to close the program would leave you with no other option than buying a license, if you wanted to keep that installation alive.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

davidhk
    Not to anyone in particular.

It would be interesting if someone could duplicate what I did with success as well.
    More so, if a retail version of Win 7 was used instead of a Win 8.1

I could not be that lucky.

davidhk
    One more thing I just noticed.

Programs and Features > View installed updates..........

The list contains those I must have installed when I was using Win8/8.1
    Those are dated 2014.
    So, it gave me back what was once in my Win 8/8.1 ?
    That is normal too ?

Win 8.1 updates history.jpg
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-08-07 at 08:04.

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    One more thing I just noticed.

Those are dated 2014.
    That is normal too ?

Win 8.1 updates history.jpg
    In the same Win 8.1 Pro.......
    I also checked Windows Update > View updates history...........

There is only one update listed.
    Meaning those updates dated 2014 in Programs & Features > View installed updates were not installed a day ago.

Windows Update ....... View updates history..jpg
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-08-07 at 09:10.

Thanks
    Unless I'm missing something obvious here, Windows Update has been removed from the control panel in Windows 10.

w10controlpanel.PNG

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's possible that you did something "unexpected" and therefor were able to "get away with it."
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    It's possible that you did something "unexpected" and therefor were able to "get away with it."
    Maybe. I tend to speculate that MS right hand doesn't know what its left hand is doing.
    I am waiting to see if MS has found that out at a later date and render my Win 8.1 Pro as not activated or not genuine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Unless I'm missing something obvious here, Windows Update has been removed from the control panel in Windows 10.

w10controlpanel.PNG
    It can be found under windows settings with the name Update & Security. I assume this is the new control panel and things will be moved from the old one at some point. for instance, File history can be switched on in Update & security, but its settings are still in FH in Control panel.
    settings2.PNG
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    It can be found under windows settings with the name Update & Security. I assume this is the new control panel and things will be moved from the old one at some point. for instance, File history can be switched on in Update & security, but its settings are still in FH in Control panel.
    settings2.PNG
    I'm aware of that.

It seems that David is posting screenshots from Windows 8(.1) regarding a Windows 10 problem. He's also editing his posts after they've been replied to.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    An Insider Preview installation is only good while enrollment in Insider Preview is maintained. Even if you do not plan to leave at any time, any decision by Microsoft to close the program would leave you with no other option than buying a license, if you wanted to keep that installation alive.
    I have been receiving mail from Windows Insider since long before Windows 10, and I doubt that they are going to take it away from someone who is spotting interesting things and providing feedback, even the feedback comes through this channel, which they might just stumble across.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2016-08-07 at 13:47.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=davidhk;1063361]One more thing I just noticed.

Those are dated 2014.
    That is normal too ?]

It was there all along if you were within the rollback period.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    I have been receiving mail from Windows Insider since long before Windows 10, and I doubt that they are going to take it away from someone who is spotting interesting things and providing feedback even them even the feedback comes through this channel, which they might just stumble across.
    Microsoft has shown in the last few years, so many times, that they will not hesitate to remove anything they wish, for whatever reason they deem fit. The same can happen with the Insider Program.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast