Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite

TeraByte's Image For Windows has a new version, 3.00a. Since this is a major version upgrade, it isn't a free upgrade for licensed owners of IFW 2.xx. We are entitled to 50% off, however. There are some changes in the UI, but I haven't used it enough yet to say much else.

"The TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite includes Image for Windows, Image for Linux, Image for DOS, and the OSD Tool Suite. Image for DOS and Image for Linux support the same powerful drive image functionality without requiring a working Windows installation. "
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the Suite on the 5th, uninstalled version 2.99-00, installed the 3.00 Suite, and imaged my SSD (i.e., C: drive) - worked like a charm!
    I also logged in at TeraByte (using my old account info) and downloaded the new version 1.33 of BootIt Bare Metal (it didn't undergo a major version upgrade, so I didn't have to plunk down any additonal change).

RockE
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-08-07 at 00:34. Reason: added version number

Thanks
    How much is 50% off? I'm in my lean years -- what's the dollar amount?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    How much is 50% off? I'm in my lean years -- what's the dollar amount?
    $19.47
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thought I'd mention a small snafu I encountered today with regard to the 2.99 version of Image for Windows. This is probably of interest only to other Image for Windows users who may be using an older version.
    I had IFW installed on a second computer (not mentioned in post # 2) and that machine was still Windows 10 version 1511 (it is usually not connected to the Internet, so it had not been upgraded to version 1607).
    I decided to connect to the Internet and allow Windows Defender to update before running a backup of that computer's hard drive, because WD was "nagging me". WD updated alright, and I decided to run IFW 2.99 to backup that computer's hard drive, before upgrading IFW to 3.00, and installing some other programs.
    PHYLock kept waiting for drive writing to cease, and never was successful.
    I eventually downloaded and re-installed PHYLock, then it worked.

I won't have the problem again, because I have now upgraded IFW to V3.00 on that computer. But I thought it might be of interest because I'd seen mention of re-installing PHYLock on the TeraByte forum in the past (even though I'd never had to previously).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Today I noticed that the suite is now version 3.01, released on August 16th. I'm downloading it now.
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-08-16 at 19:54.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My results:
    After downloading and installing the new version 3.01 of the Suite, I ran it and backed up my OS drive (Windows 10 ver. 1607). The image file was a bit smaller than the one made using version 3.00 even though the used space on C: had increased. Imaging took slightly less time, too.
    So, I'm pleased with the new version at this point. I'll be doing a restore later (after I sleep; it's bedtime).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    $19.47
    I believe that is still one license for one computer, correct? I'll have to recalculate for three computers, correct?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    I believe that is still one license for one computer, correct? I'll have to recalculate for three computers, correct?
    Of course, there is nothing to prevent you from buying more than a single license, or buying a commercial version.
    Here is a screen clip of part of page 225 from the TeraByte manual. I think you'll find that your license can be used on up to three of your personal computers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RockE; 2016-08-18 at 15:02.

Thanks
    RockE is correct; one license is good for 3 personal computers owned by you or your immediate family. I have a copy installed on my desktop, my NAS, and my laptop, all with the same license.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanks RockE! I'll remember it is for three computers at the most.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're certainly welcome.
    You can find the Image for Windows user's manual here.

RockE

New Lounger
    Thanks

Will The New Version 3 Actually Work?

For years (back to Langalist days), I've been making Image 4 Windows images of my XP and Win 7 computers. A few months ago (April 2016) I finally NEEDED a restoration on my XP machine. I discovered that I can't restore it to a new drive!

Will the new version 3 actually restore an image, or will it be another placebo mimicking as a "backup solution" that wouldn't work?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Harvey View Post
    For years (back to Langalist days), I've been making Image 4 Windows images of my XP and Win 7 computers. A few months ago (April 2016) I finally NEEDED a restoration on my XP machine. I discovered that I can't restore it to a new drive!

Will the new version 3 actually restore an image, or will it be another placebo mimicking as a "backup solution" that wouldn't work?
    In the Langalist days, there was no Image For Windows. Drive imaging was built into BootIt Next Generation, and the image files were *.IMG. Image For Windows image files are *.TBI.

Image For Windows won't restore *.IMG files. One must boot into an older version of BootIt Next Generation in order to restore *.IMG files (the newer versions of BootItNG don't include drive imaging). I've used BootIt Next Generation since the '90's and I never had an issue restoring a drive image to a new hard drive.

I bought Image For Windows when TeraByte offered it a few years ago, and have been using it ever since. This post was the most recent example of restoring to a new hard drive.

Unleash Windows

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Ray Harvey (2016-08-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I appreciate your quick response bbearren. For brevity reasons, I tried to keep my post short. Yes, I have years' worth of V1 and V2 BootIt and Image 4 Windows updated software downloads, but I never needed to test it until April of this year.

Yes, I should have tested a restoration l-o-n-g before I actually needed it. My bad.

I backup my computers to a dedicated PC through my internal network. But when I tried to restore my main XP computer, I4W couldn't find the new drive. I used the Image for DOS CD.

I'm at a crossroad ~ I liked Image 4 Windows, but I'm probably going to buy Acronis True Image. It's a HUGE download, and I haven't had the time to download / read the instruction manual / etc.

I read *this* thread because I'd hoped that v3 suite would be better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast