New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Windows 10 AU Two Screen Issue - Any Ideas?

I have a Surface Pro 4 connected via a surface 4 dock to a second screen (HDMI).

Since the Anniversary update, every time the screen locks almost all windows (Outlook 2016, Edge, Windows Explorer, Chrome, etc) are returned to the Primary screen in a reduced size rather than staying on the second screen. This did not happen before the anniversary update and I can see no reason for this to occur. Needless to say this is bugging the hell out of me. Anyone have any ideas, or do I have to wait for someone at MS to see this mess and fix it!

/RANT ON: if MS is going to force updates on us, they have to ensure that they actually work, especially on their own hardware for crying out loud /RANT OFF

BTW, I say almost all screens move, one Keepass2 remembers where it's supposed to be on the second screen.

Thanks
    I have a second screen, connected via HDMI, and even after I return from being locked, everything seems to stay where it's supposed to. This is a desktop but I can't comment on a surface. Are there lots of complaints about this happening?
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Graphic,

I have 3 systems (one Desktop & 2 laptops) running dual screens and both Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Home and have no problem with windows opening up on the wrong screen. With one exception that I just managed to fix.

On my laptop running Win 10 Pro Insider Edition, PowerShell ISE would always open on the laptop screen vs the external screen where I wanted it. Interestingly, when PS was started the splash screen would open on the external monitor but PS itself would open on the laptop screen.

So what I did was:
    1. Size the PS_ISE screen smaller than the laptop screen.
    2. Use Windows Key+Shift+Left Arrow to move the PS window to the External Monitor (it's the one to the Left).
    3. Holding the Shift Key and Click the X to close the window.
    4. Restart PS_ISE, it opened on the correct screen this time.
    5. Maximize PS_ISE
    6. Holding the Shift Key and Click the X to close the window.
    7. Restart PS_ISE, it opened full screen on the external monitor.
    8. Rebooted to make sure the fix would hold, it did.

YMMV!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi access-mdb. I cannot find complaints about this happening, but it might be a bit early on with the anniversary update <shrug>. My partner's screen which is a Dell laptop and VGA connector does not have this problem. I suspect this is very much related to the SP4 with the Docking station. It has only begun AFTER the anniversary update.

RetiredGeek, that's interesting, I'll keep it in mind to try, but I'd need to do it for a lot of Apps/windows.

This has given me an idea though, I'll plug the external screen directly into the video port on the SP4 and see what happens. I'll report back.

thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update, so I just tried with the second monitor connected via the SP4 video port rather than the Surface Dock Video Port. Guess what, it all works! So the issue is with the SP4 Docking station - interesting.

Further update: Okay so I realised that I had not power cycled the docking station after the anniversary update. Doing so appears to have fixed the problem (sigh of relief). Not sure why this should have been necessary, but am posting in case anyone else experiences this problem.

Problem Solved. Thanks for reading and suggestions.
    Last edited by Graphic; 2016-08-07 at 22:34. Reason: Update with solution