Lounger
    Thanks

Unwanted things in Windows Startup

Looking at two machines with W10 Pro (both upgraded from W7 and have been around the block a few times). Checking Task Manager | Startup, and I find a couple of things I do not want + a question or two. I can easily disable any specific startup program, of course, but how can I remove it?

Both computers have at least one item in the startup list called "Program", with no publisher shown and no properties available. I'm just guessing that these are leftovers from some long removed software (?), but I hate the idea of something unknown starting up or even remaining on my computer. I disabled them and rebooted, but they remain on the startup list. I have found a couple of other items that have real names and I can definitely trace to some old programs that have been removed - not even any remnant folders left in the Win Program Files and Program files (x86) for the startup .exe files to reside in, but they remained enabled in startup?

So the question is, these disabled startup items may only be a minor irritant, but how do I remove them completely? Am I forced to do a regedit?

Thanks
    Download and run Autoruns, the logon tab is the place to start off with.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If they were unchecked in msconfig when you uninstalled them, then those entries will remain in msconfig as orphaned files.

You could enable them, reinstall their program and then uninstall using a 3rd party uninstall program.

This will then remove those entries.

Alternatively, leave them enabled and download FreeFixer which may list them with a Delete box and recorded as (File missing).

http://www.freefixer.com/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If run start Autoruns with "Run as administrator" you can delete any of the registry entries is the various startup locations.
    Joe