New Lounger
    Thanks

Performance of PCIe x1 VS. integrated graphics card

My elderly father has an equally elderly Dell Dimension 3100 with an Intel integrated graphics card. His computer needs are minimal (word processing, email web, no games). He was "tricked" the other day into upgrading to Windows 10 (which he kinda likes). Speed of the computer is fine, the only issue is that the integrated video is using the generic MS drivers and only allows for 800 X 600 resolution. There are no Win 10 drivers for this card.

The motherboard only has a PCIe x1 slot for an add-on card, and I just happen to have a Radeon HD5450 PCIe 2.1 x16 card laying around (http://powercolor.com/US/products_features.asp?id=326).

I know the card will probably work, but obviously wont fit in the x1 smaller slot. I can get a x16 to x1 adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2URB9RBI6RSG7) to fix this. I probably also need a bigger power supply as his is only 230W.

So my question is assuming it all works - The current integrated card only has 1MB of RAM, the new card has 512MB. I realize the card will only be working at x1 speed. Will the new cards performance be at least as good as the integrated card (ie. is PCIe x1 as fast as the integrated interface)?

I have a previous image of the computer if we need to go back to the old OS, but as I said he likes Windows 10. I just dont want to spend a lot of time and money if the performance of the new video card is going to be worse than the old.

Any other thought or comments about this are welcome.

Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Powercolor URL you provided is actually for a PCI bus card, not a PCIe.

Just saying...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok, no prob. the card I have is PCIe 2.1 x16 though

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked the BIOS for a setting to increase the portion of physical RAM is assigned to the onboard video adapter? Many older computer could do it. But it would subtract from the RAM available to the OS but may not be a noticeable hit, many Notebooks do it that way.

I'd also go for a PCIe X16 card, in fact have such in both of my Win10 Desktops [Customs] as the motherboards I chose don't have onboard graphics.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Pollack View Post
    <snip> The current integrated card only has 1MB of RAM <snip>
    As already suggested, the BIOS allows you to allocate video RAM, and with only 1MB then I'm surprised that even 800x600 is possible (should need 1.4MB just to store the RGB pixels). Pop into the BIOS and set the video memory as high as possible: the Dell service manual says that 8MB is possible. You may well find that W10 then offers further options.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Berton and mngerhold for that idea. Setting the memory to 8MB for graphics in the BIOS gave me the option for higher resolution and color.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome, glad to help.